Bark Chips

• 1 Replies

kargus

Bark Chips
« on: July 18, 2013, 11:32 »
 :blink: hi all, anyone out there know if its ok to use bark chips around veg as Im sick of pulling up weeds, and if yes, what type are the best - ideally ones that just rot down into ground and improve the soil cheers

Trillium

Re: Bark Chips
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 15:22 »
Bark chips are ideal for keeping down weeds, but in the UK if you get a lot of rain, it could also house slugs and snails.

If you want to do chips, first you need to spread a thin layer of compost or composted manure (after you've taken out the biggest weeds), lay down some sheets of newspaper and then spread the bark. Cedar is the least ideal, along with other evergreens, but will work if you've got nothing else. More ideal are the hardwoods chipped small and applied about 4" thick if you can get that much.

The compost or manure will compensate for any nutrients the bark might take while breaking down. The newspaper offers a good temporary barrier against the weeds sprouting for a while. Used in tandem, chips work well. Ideally, older bark chips are preferred but those can be hard to find. I had to use fresh ones myself and have a mix of evergreens and hardwoods since it was all I could get (for free).

Each year, apply a bit more compost over the whole area, then another inch or two of chips. Over the years the chips will decompose and add lovely soil to your area.

xx
Cheap as ( bark ) chips

Started by woodentop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 14:34
by yummy
xx
Bark chips concern

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 06:21
by compostqueen
xx
Sulphur chips

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 18:24
by Yorkie
xx
Wood Chips

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 06, 2014, 23:05
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.815 seconds with 36 queries.