Neighbours complained about shed roof

• 25 Replies

double-happiness

Neighbours complained about shed roof
« on: October 31, 2010, 14:47 »
Hi folks
I have an allotment in the Scottish Borders, I just took it over in April and it's been mega-stressful, to be honest I haven't been enjoying it at all, though hopefully next year will be better and I'm determined to carry on. The plot was completely derelict when I took it over, overgrown with grass and weeds from front to back and full of junk, and with a collapsing, rotten shed.

After several months of weekly work I have cleared the junk, demolished the shed, dug over most of the ground, moved the fruit bushes to the back of the plot, and brought in compost bins which are currently holding approx. 1800 litres of annual weeds. It hasn't helped that the ground was chock full of couch grass, buttercups, and even a large pit of stones :(

The attitude of the other plot-holders has been varied, some of them have been really encouraging, and I was quite touched that an old-timer expressed indignation that the plot had ever been allowed to get in such a state, and swore that he would not have even attempted to take it on. On the other hand I have been feeling rather pressured, with a steady stream of comments that I should dig the ground, plant potatoes (which I did - I harvested over 20 kilos actually) and clear all the left-over timber from the site. I feel I have had to constantly beg for patience from the other people there, and often feel some of them don't understand how hard it is for a single, working, car-less person to cope with such a mammoth undertaking...

Now my new shed is almost completed and the site maneger has told me the neighbours have complained about the roof being too close to the boundary fence. When I spoke to them they expressed disbelief that I had built the roof right up to the fence (it doesn't touch it though). The shed itself has enough clearance that you can physically get through the gap but the roof overhangs at front and back, and the back left corner is centimetres away from touching the fence. The neighbours complained about the view from their house and said it would have been 'common courtesy' to ask about leaning wood against the fence. I countered that I had mentioned the wood to one of the three neighbours whose garden adjoins my plot and they had seemed completely untroubled about it. I do not want to start a big massive fire to burn off all the wood because a) I might still need some of it and there are some good pieces and b) last time I tried to have a fire the neighbours callled the fire brigade, who put it out.

The neighbours refused to clarify how far the roof should be from the fence and said that was up to the allotment association (NB it's not council site). The site manager could not specify the clearance either and said 'you should cut it back to about here' - obviously some arbitrary distance he had just made up. The roof would be a nightmare to cut because it is corrugated polycarbonate sheeting, it will most likley shatter or crack if I try to cut it with a woodsaw, AFAIK you need to use a jigsaw or circular saw to cut the stuff. Anyway even if I cut it they might still not be satisfied. There is no planning permission required for garden sheds <4 square metres here. The allotment regs say you should inform the commitee of site and size prior to building a shed but they never gave me any contact details when I started. The site manager just comes up and hassles me about this and that, he never once gave me a number to call if I needed any advice. They never even told me who was in charge.

Any advice please? I'm feeling hassled and stressed by the whole show really.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 15:33 by double-happiness »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Neighbours complained about shed roof
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 15:04 »
Make sure you get contact details from the site manager next time you see him/her.  Explain that you are finding it difficult to know what you can and can't do.

I presume the fences belong to the houses adjacent to the site.  Is your shed built up against the gaden fences or how much space is there between your shed wall and the fence ?

hubballi

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 15:08 »
What a miserable load of so and so's. The essence of growing is to get away from the stress of life and just enjoy yourself. I would just get on with it and try and ignore them. is there nobody on the site you can confide in and get help ?

double-happiness

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 15:13 »
Make sure you get contact details from the site manager next time you see him/her.  Explain that you are finding it difficult to know what you can and can't do.

Yup, have done this. I called him last night and said I wasn't going to do anything without clarification re. the required spacing.

I presume the fences belong to the houses adjacent to the site.  Is your shed built up against the gaden fences or how much space is there between your shed wall and the fence ?

I guess so. The houses are built on former allotment land. There's enough space between the shed and the fence for a person to get through.

Thanks for the comments.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 15:15 »
How high are the garden fences ?

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 15:17 »
That sounds like a bit of a nightmare, I hope you manage to find a happy balance between what you want and what the neighbours want.  The manager of my site has been VERY good, making sure I know what I am and am not allowed to do.  We're not allowed to work within a certain distance of the fence, even the part that backs onto a path.  I don't know the actual measurement however there is a sunken metal barrier which indicates the inner barrier.

As for the other plot holders... perhaps they're just offering the best advice they know to offer.  As I've been working on my plot I've had LOTS of interest from fellow plot holders as I'm located near the main entrance and absolutely everyone seems to have a different way of doing things.  I take on board all the advice given and even when I know I have no intention of following their recommendations I still listen and ask questions as you never know when they might be of help when something goes wrong.

double-happiness

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 15:17 »
What a miserable load of so and so's. The essence of growing is to get away from the stress of life and just enjoy yourself. I would just get on with it and try and ignore them. is there nobody on the site you can confide in and get help ?

Yeah well said, my sentiments exactly. I might talk to Stuart, he's the only other person there I have contact with, it was him that helped me get the roof for the shed in fact.

Thanks.

[NB I like the way this site turns the topic title into the title bar for the web browser - kewl! :D]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 15:27 by double-happiness »

daisy1990

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 15:19 »
in most situations (ie there is nothing in deeds to the contrary, there is no right for neighbours to demand a gap between a shed and fence.  From what you say the roof doesn't overhang on to their land.  They have no legal right to an unrestricted view (or light) so cannot demand you take it down (or shorten the roof)  I would have thought you have improved their outlook with all the work you have done,

On a separate note you have done all the hard and unrewarding work now, next year is when you will really start to enjoy it so persevere!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

double-happiness

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 15:21 »
How high are the garden fences ?

Umm, I dunno exactly, 5 - 6'? The neighbours houses sort of overlook the plot. They mostly have decking and stuff so it's bit of a wierd layout. It seems like when they are on their decking they are about 2' higher up than the plot ground.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 15:28 by double-happiness »

double-happiness

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 15:23 »
As for the other plot holders... perhaps they're just offering the best advice they know to offer.

Yeah fair comment, I hear what you're saying. I'm just feeling a bit touchy right now, as you can probably tell!  :wub:

[Wow - this is some active forum - it's all go on here innit! :D]

double-happiness

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 15:31 »
 I would have thought you have improved their outlook with all the work you have done

Guaranteed. The plot was a mess. I even chuck their kids' balls back over the fence so I'm not all bad am I.

On a separate note you have done all the hard and unrewarding work now, next year is when you will really start to enjoy it so persevere!

Nice one, thanks!

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 16:09 »
There's an old saying you'd best remember: you can please some of the people some of the time, but never all the people all the time.

Once you're aware of all the allotment guidelines, stick within them and ignore the rest. Some people are born moaners, even if they really don't care about the view from the backyards. Find a few allies within the allotments and get them on board so you don't feel so alone against the inevitable bullies. In the end, you'll be glad you stuck it out. You'll find some real friends along with some fantastic veg.

Funky Diver

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 18:01 »
There's a phrase commonly used in Nursing that goes along the lines of "If it aint written down, it doesn't exist"

Basically, when "they" complain about something that you're doing... "Please can you show me where it says I have to do that?"  Politely of course, asking for their proof of written documentation stating the Rules that half the time are made up.

I get plagued with busy bodies through work and the fact that I've just woken them up at 8am on a Sunday morning drilling (I'm a Sky engineer)  I usually get the "Do you know what time it is?" and "It's against the LAW to do work on Sunday morning", it's all hot air and 90% of the time ignorance.

I'd just ignore them and sit happy in the knowledge that everytime you show courteousy (eg by throwing the ball back over the fence) that you are indeed a better human being than they are and their life is obviously in some way not as perfect that they think it is, you get my drift I'm sure ;)

As an aside, you could always theaten to move your compost bins to where the sheds are and come up with some wonderful concotion of the smeeliest stuff you can whilst composting, lol.

Trikidiki

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 21:34 »
Get a nice thick indelible marker and every time the ball comes over, write the date and time you returned it, they might get the message.

Junie

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 21:42 »
Is there anything in local bye-laws re sheds and fences?
when we lived in Swindon there was a local bye-law for our estate that any wooden shed had to be at least a metre from any fence - I think it was for protection against fire.  Most did not bother(  or did not know) but  it may be worth a look for your area in the local reference library..

xx
Pumpkin on the roof of my shed.

Started by 5thhorseman on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 23:16
by 5thhorseman
grin
Lovely neighbours

Started by Lottie Mary on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 13:28
by Lottie Mary
xx
Raspberry neighbours

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 21:29
by casper
xx
lazy neighbours

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 24, 2006, 14:59
by muntjac

Page created in 0.531 seconds with 36 queries.