How was your year?

• 38 Replies

Bizzi Lizzi

How was your year?
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:50 »
I've gardened for more years than I care to remember, mostly shrubs, perennials and trees but vegetable growing was in my blood from being a yuuff but his year, despite putting the most care ever into prepping, due diligence etc it's been my poorest ever.  :ohmy:

I had fantastic success growing all the annuals for my garden, hundreds and hundreds of plants; soft fruits were great; first lot of apples from my tree; my tomatoes were slow to ripen but plentiful; peppers until I've grown sick of them and my cucumbers were extremely poor but my greens .... not worth mentioning.

How's everyone else got on? :D :D

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: How was your year?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 13:06 »
We have had a fairly regular harvest of fruit and veg through the year, as usual, which has meant that we have not had to buy any veg since about March. The difference this year is that I have had almost no surplus, except potatoes, beetroot, chillies and some tomatoes to store.

Overall, it's been a bit dissapointing compared to previous years :( and I put that down to the weather - very cold start, late spring, too hot in late spring and too wet in the summer.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 13:57 »
I've had a rubbish year...

I hold my hands up to the fact that I've neglected my plot a little this year as we started a new business and it's taken up a lot of my free time but the crops I have got in the ground have been very poor. My sweetcorn never grew more than a foot tall, my onions got mildew, my peas gave up! Even my salads were feeble.

I echo what Aelf said about the weather - it hasn't helped as all  :(

I'm hoping that the now the business is a year old it will allow me more time to plan properly for next year and that the weather is a little kinder to us next year.  ::)
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 14:05 »
I would say overall we had a good year. The yield from the maincrop potatoes was disappointing, as was that from the dwarf french beans. The delightful yellow tomatoes got botrytis and we grew a pepper which called itself "Patio Pepper" whose fruits matured far too late, but we may just start them earlier next time as they were lovely (Peppadew sized). :) Everything else new that we tried, such as various annual flowers, cucumbers, courgettes, pumpkins etc all impressed! All the usual suspects, such as carrot, beetroot, spinach, salads, alliums did as expected.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 14:22 »
considering that I only got my small plot at the beggining of may...I've had a good year :)

Potatoes had a fair yield weightwise, but they were on the small size (none for jackets) so that was a bit disapointing, and the cobra climbing beans just didn't want to grow, in the weird weather, but the purple podded more than made up for them :)
Apart from that everything grew just fine........and now, as well as the winter crops still  in the ground, I have a freezer full of veg to get me though winter  :)

Pestwise, the netting stopped the cabbage whites, but allowed the aphids and white fly in and there was the usual slug damage...........so nothing too dramatic ;)

Nige2Plots

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 14:29 »
Allotment wise, I had a very pleasing year. Very few disappointments and many successes.
On the Home Front, it was a lot better than last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oliveview

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 14:32 »
Excellent year for pumpkins, galia melons and peppers bad year for tomatoes, rats and fruit rats ate them faster than I could pick them :(
Got a good crop of onions but they started to go off fast :tongue2:
Pamela

tode

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 14:49 »
I seem to have spent all year down in the basement      :(    :(     :(

Only consolation is a good stock of sweet-corn in the freezer    :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 16:06 »
I seem to have spent all year down in the basement      :(    :(     :(

Only consolation is a good stock of sweet-corn in the freezer    :D

.........and you will feel completely at home if you are norty and Aunty sends you down her cellar!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

tode

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 16:14 »
I'm not painting Auntie's cellar as well    :ohmy:

Goldfinger

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 16:44 »

We had a fair year, except our cauli's were a fantastic surprise (if you had seen my photos earlier in the year)  :D

Only main gripe was some 'organic' compost we bought, NOTHING  :mad: grew hardly!!

Carrots were no bigger that your thumb, and our tomatoes didn't even get to the flowering stage.  >:(

We only have parsnips left in big tubs in the same compost and are just waiting for a good frost so I can get them out and see how they've done.  :unsure:

Anyway, the main plan for next year is PLANT MORE!!!!
We ran out so quick.

madcat

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 16:47 »
I'm not painting Auntie's cellar as well    :ohmy:

A tasteful (should that be tasty?) shade of pink with cerise detailing should do it....   ;)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

tode

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 16:56 »
I didn't know that Auntie had kitsch rats    :D

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 19:19 »
Very good year....only disaster was BNS....2 plants,no squashes.Odd because turks turbans were great,and courgettes?unbelievable!

Fisherman

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 20:50 »
Pretty good year apart from mildew on onions, spring onions, courgettes and squash, oh and rust on garlic. Still got leeks, swede, cabbage, parsnips, carrots, brussel sprouts, swiss chard, lettuce and few salad bits to harvest. The wet weather didn't help!

Salad crops have been good and have kept going from early April and look like coming to end in the 1st week in November (7 months).

Sweet corn and peppers have been slow to ripen.

Page created in 0.475 seconds with 32 queries.