Confusing instructions (berries)

• 9 Replies

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
Confusing instructions (berries)
« on: November 04, 2010, 20:51 »
I saw this:
    Cold stratify for 60 days, this can be achieved by mixing seed with damp vermiculite in a bag and placing in refrigerator.

-Instructions for sowing blueberries and I don't understand 'stratify' and 'vermiculite'.
Is this important? Am I ok with just sticking them in the freezer for two weeks before sowing?

I saw similar instructions for sowing raspberries and I want to sow both now. Please explain the confusing words and tell me what to do. lol.

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
Re: Confusing instructions (berries)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 21:28 »
Vermiculiote is an inert growing medium, much used in hydroponics but also by regular gardeners for seed sowing. It's there to maintain a humid atmosphere without "loose" water. Stratify means to "fake" a winter by refrigerating the seed, some seeds need it some don't, apparently blueberries do.... not surprising really, most Northern American winters get cold, so evolving to need stratification stops a summer berry seed starting itself off in a slighlty milder than usual autumn.
It's easier (and tastier, and more patriotic) to grow Blackcurrants BTW....  8)

chrisc

gillie

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 21:36 »
Do what it says!  Vermiculite can be bought at garden centres.  Stratifying is subjecting the seeds or berries to a false winter to break dormancy.  Then you can sow them but do not expect anything to germinate before the spring.

Putting them in the freezer (especially if they are dry seeds) is not the same at all.  There is no point in sowing now anyway as they will not germinate any quicker.  If nothing comes up in the first Spring it is probably worth keeping the pots until next year.

Of course growing from seed like this means you will probably get inferior plants to the ones that the seeds came from because they may have cross pollinated.  Raspberries send up shoots everywhere, so why bother?  I guess you have to take cuttings or layer blueberries to keep them true.

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 21:56 »
Thanks for the info, I've learned two new words tonight :)
Gillie, are you suggesting I'd be better off buying a plant? - The thing that puts me off buying plants is wondering how they've been treated. I'm such a noob when it comes to berries.

gillie

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 22:34 »

Gillie, are you suggesting I'd be better off buying a plant? - The thing that puts me off buying plants is wondering how they've been treated. I'm such a noob when it comes to berries.

Yes, much!  you will get a plant of known variety which will crop in a year or two.  Growing from seed will take much longer and there is no knowing whether it will ever bear a decent crop.

Buy from a reputable supplier or good strong looking plants from a garden centre.

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:55 »
Ok, I'll look around then.

savbo

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:33 »
our blueberries from Parkers were tiny 2 years ago but are now lovely healthy bushes...

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 11:36 »
Sounds good. Just out of interest, what season did you buy it in?

savbo

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 12:59 »
oooo not sure, think in autumn?

Christine

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 18:11 »
Blueberries went in on my plot start of March (get the right sort of compost as they like acid soil - the stuff you use for heathers is what you want, ericaeous is the word).

question
Confusing leek

Started by Mr-tattie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 16:15
by JayG
xx
Instructions on Seeds?

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 08:44
by Kristen
xx
Can you explain these instructions to me

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 07:57
by gobs
xx
sowing instructions

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 12:26
by paintedlady

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 36 queries.