Heated drinkers

• 17 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Heated drinkers
« on: October 21, 2010, 04:41 »
Ive been looking on line at heated drinkers and seem only to be able to find them for sale in the US I've heard of the fish tank heater idea which I didn't like incase the water level got low and blew the heater. Also I've seen heat mats that go under the drinker but I wonder witha plastic drinker if it's a good idea ( could get a galvanised drinker I suppose) but the purpose built heated drinkers look reasonably priced in the US so if I can find a supplier in the uk I would get one. what I'm asking is what does everyone else use to prevent water freezing. doe anyone know a supplier of said heated drinkers. no doubt hillfooter has plans for a 1000 component wallaca and gromet style invention.  :tongue2: he he sorry couldn't resist  :D
thanks
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Fisherman

Re: Heated drinkers
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:33 »
Ditto, I can't find anything suitable either. I don't have a 240 volt power supply where my coop is but control lights and door opener with 12 volt batteries. Problem with water heaters is that they consume a fair bit of power and would quickly flatten the batteries. I will need to devise something as I leave home in the morning before 7.00AM so changing the water wouldn't always work during severe cold weather.

I will also be interested in the replies.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 08:13 »
I'm not at all technical but at my barn I have a thermostat which keeps the copper wire around my water pipes at a temperature to prevent freezing. Maybe one of the more technically minded of you could come up with something. By the way it is attached to mains electricity - sorry those of you who don't have it available - also it does not cost much.

The water for my poultry freezes in the winter!!!!!!!!! ??? It is the same system most of you use. Freestanding water containers. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 08:28 »
I was just thinking about how to keep the water from freezing this winter, had our first frost this morning down south!! Last year i even resorted to heating house bricks in the oven wrapping them in foil and standing my drinker on them, stayed hot for a good while but alot of fafing around and not realy a practical option if youdont have much time.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 08:39 »
An aquarium air pump and  airstone would probably do the trick, especially if the pump was sited in a warm shed or hen house.

The bubbles might freak the hens for a while till they get used to it.

Check your local waste recycling centre , there are normally a few leaky tanks with good pumps for a couple of ££`s

chuckmad

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:07 »
If you take the water feeders away at night and put them back in the morning, is there still a possibility of them freezing during the day. (I know the answer is obvious enough but still need to ask).

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 10:09 »
Sorry peeps, but what a lot of faffing around.

When its really cold, we only put enough water in their drinkers for the day, any left over at night either gets chucked out or next morning I break the ice and re-fill with warm water which lasts a while.

My hose gets frozen unless I remember to coil it up and put it in the wheelbarrow in the polytunnel

Of course this is more difficult if your chickens are on the allotment.  In that case, perhaps you could construct a shelter over the drinker to help keep some of the frost away?

Chuckmad, I think we've only had drinkers freezing during the day once or twice since keeping chickens.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 11:11 »
So what you are saying is not to bother with a water heater? I will of course take your advice on board but surely in weather like we had last year the water will freeze in the day in no time ??? I leave my house at 6:30 am and get back about 5 so if it froze surely they would de hydrate with all the nasty dry layers pelets to help.  i think I would rather be prepared fo the big freeze than just take your word for it no offence  :D

carolbriar

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 11:23 »
My water drinkers froze on many occasions last winter.  It was down to -13 though.  I just poured boiling water over the metal drinker (stainless steel dog bowl), and with the plastic one I broke up the ice and refilled with warm water.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 11:42 »
My water drinkers froze on many occasions last winter.  It was down to -13 though.  I just poured boiling water over the metal drinker (stainless steel dog bowl), and with the plastic one I broke up the ice and refilled with warm water.

Same here s/s dog bowls and empty them at night , refill with warm in the morning.Much tougher and easier to de ice than hard plastic which the ice can split.
Lots of frozen water bowls last winter during the day but the hens were eating plenty of snow.

bantam novice

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 12:06 »
What I did last winter and am starting to do again is take the drinker in when I shut the hens up for the night and clean it out and refill it ready to take out the next morning.  This got me though the last cold snap.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 13:23 »
You must do whatever you think is best for your chickens wolverine, but in the 15 years I've kept chickens I've never lost one in the winter due to dehydration.  Even if the water did freeze.  But if you can fix up a shelter of some sort, that would help keep the worst of the frost off the drinker, have you never seen a chicken pecking at the ice?

Some of ours when first let out can't wait for me to de-ice their drinkers first, they start to chip the ice themselves.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 13:39 »
My lot is on the plots so no lecky to source, I use solar power, I seem to recall Hillfooter suggesting the same method.
As Granny I empty at night and take home and fill for the following day so the water is at room temp the next morning, I wrap bubble wrap around then thick black plastic to help to warm it up a little and keep it from freezing.
I appreciate some of you are not as lucky as us here in the tropics but try it, simple solution that will work for all but the very worst of the weather.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 14:02 »
If you have mains electricity the pad heater type are fine for plastic bell drinkers.

My DIL used one all last winter during severe cold weather.  It kept the water heated to above freezing point (not warm) all day.

evie2

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 17:58 »
We've never had any problems.  Chooks and rabbits get fresh warm water every day in the winter and we keep an eye open in case it freezes.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Drinkers

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2011, 18:26
by bygrace
xx
Drinkers

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 15:12
by Blobbs
xx
Drinkers

Started by DMT2011 on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 17:24
by JaK
xx
frozen drinkers

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post December 22, 2010, 15:45
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 28 queries.