New Polytunnel arrived today!

• 6 Replies

AndyP

• Flickr Album
New Polytunnel arrived today!
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:46 »
The OH got an email from eBay saying they were missing her and gave her a 10% off voucher code to tempt her back (we always use my eBay account), so we used it to buy a polytunnel. It's 4.5meters long and 2m wide. I know a few other people have dabbled with these tunnels and it seems the thing to do is to make sure they are well anchored down! We couldn't really say no to it at £45!

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the item on eBay, so I won't unless anyone wants me to!

Will let you know how it goes building it when I get round to it!

If anyone's got any advice on them, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Someone has been dumping soil on my allotment at night. I don't know who it is. The plot thickens.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: New Polytunnel arrived today!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:53 »
Photos of the progress of course Andy. :) Then there's this thread on the forum which contains lots of useful information, along with numerous threads in the Construction board.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:53 »
Just remember, don't put the polythene on when its windy!  Although ours is 24 ft long, it was a b****r to put on with just the two of us!!!  :lol: :lol:

Thrift

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 16:20 »
Be careful if it's one of the lightweight ones without anything to anchor into the ground.

We solved the problem by placing scaffold planks along each side of the frame before the cover went on then strapping the bottom of the frame to the planks. We also taped all the joins. Then, on with the cover and all has been ok despite some hefty gales.

We're getting a few now as I type ???

veggieman

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 16:47 »
If you want hefty gales around a polytunnel then I can certainly nominate my one here in Shetland. The polythene-clad ones wouldn't last more than a few days in the depth of winter here.
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 17:32 »
Good grief,  winter draws on  ;)

rowlandwells

Re: New Poly tunnel arrived today!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 22:14 »
We have had polytunnels for many years. My first one bought around fifteen years ago we grow tomatoes  and strawberries in one and the smaller one used  for a plant raising tunnel.
I would not be without them although we have two large greenhouses we find the poly tunnels better in some cases for growing.
When i put the tunnels up i put a door each end of the tunnel and a path down the middle. One tunnel has dung dug in and the other thick  black poly sheeting and stand my pots on.
Each tunnel has its own water supply. But inside to keep the water at tunnel temperature. I haven't had good results growing cucumbers in the tunnel but that might be me. I also put a net over the tunnel in the summer to shade it. I suppose you could try using a good quality net over the tunnel for wind suppression. I haven't used nets for that purpose but you will need to get the poly tight. Purchase some industrial sellotape, may come in handy for repairs .
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 22:26 by noshed »

xx
strawberries arrived today!

Started by whitehartlottie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 16, 2009, 19:09
by DavidT
xx
The dreaded moment arrived today............

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2007, 14:48
by helluvatractor
xx
Garlic Bulbs arrived today

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 19, 2010, 10:32
by nickmcmechan
xx
bareroot strawberry plants have arrived today

Started by mjg000 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2024, 20:44
by Learnerlady

Page created in 0.828 seconds with 28 queries.