Starting Autumn sown Garlic in pots

• 5 Replies

fatbelly

Starting Autumn sown Garlic in pots
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:55 »
Hi.

I have a half plot and have been given the chance of a full plot but I can't touch it until the 1st Jan, even though the current potter has done nothing to it since 2008, the committee are insistent that only when the plot is mine can I tend it.  :mad:

I bought some Autumn sown Garlic from T & M when they had the free p&p offer and it has now arrived.

Given that I can't sow it yet in my new plot, would it be okay to sow it in compost in 3 inch pots and then plant it out around mid February? What are the risks of doing this? Has anyone tried this before and did it work?

Thanks FB
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

bigben

Re: Starting Autumn sown Garlic in pots
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:43 »
If you have no other option then you have nothing to lose. The worst that is likely to happen is smaller bulbs. Last year my neighbour tried to grow garlic in a bath filled with left over compost from his tomatoes the year before. He was dissapointed with how small they were compared to when he had grown them in the ground. It sounds like you are just holding them until you can plant into the ground so they should not suffer like his did.

Babstreefern

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:21 »
You can plant garlic in January (as early as possible).  I've found that when I grew garlic in tubs, they weren't all that good, a bit on the leggy and thin side if you know what I mean. ;)
Babs

Lee1978

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 13:42 »
I tried this a few years ago with some garlic as a trial and it did'nt seem to bother them too much, i think the trick is to get them planted in the ground before the roots are disturbed.

TheWeeShep

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 19:36 »
I always grow my garlic this way. I'm sure it's better sat in the ground, but I can move the pots into my greenhouse if the weather gets super wet, which makes me feel better even if it does nothing for the garlic  :D

Never had any problems, but I do get them going early to ensure they have a good dose of cold.

I tend plant out whenever I've got time in early spring - around the time I stick shallots in.
Life's too short to stuff a mushroom

fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 15:24 »
A change of plan has occurred, the full plot I was taking over in January has become available now.  :D

So given that I have already sown the Garlic in pots a couple of weeks ago , can I move them onto the plot now and into the soil .

None of them have sprouted yet and appear dormant to the eye.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 18:57 by fatbelly »

xx
Buying Autumn sown Garlic

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2012, 16:48
by compostqueen
xx
Starting Garlic in pots ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 14:26
by mumofstig
xx
autumn sown onions

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 13, 2022, 07:10
by steven c
xx
autumn sown onions

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 02, 2021, 10:22
by New shoot

Page created in 1.34 seconds with 28 queries.