blown brussels

• 6 Replies

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
blown brussels
« on: September 26, 2010, 11:56 »
i have about ten plant all doing well however on two near the base it looks as if the sprouts have opened have these plants had it or should i leave be??

RichardA

Re: blown brussels
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:38 »
personally I would just remove the loose sprouts (we throw ours to the ducks - could boil as very tender cabbage) and then be patient and see what happens as the other sprouts develop especially as the weather gets colder. Certainly do NOT scrap the plants. Ensure they are very firm in the ground by firming with foot (heeling in) around them and support with stakes if necessary.
R

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 16:04 »
personally I would just remove the loose sprouts (we throw ours to the ducks - could boil as very tender cabbage) and then be patient and see what happens as the other sprouts develop especially as the weather gets colder. Certainly do NOT scrap the plants. Ensure they are very firm in the ground by firming with foot (heeling in) around them and support with stakes if necessary.
R

Just what I would say too Richard :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 17:24 »
I really ram my brussel plants in when planting and don't dig that bed beforehand so it remains relatively firm. I do get some of the lower brussels a bit blown and they go to the geese and hens. The rest of the brussels tend to be firm so don't worry. If any of them aren't, then next year you know what to do, but my bet is look forward to Crimbo dinner!!! ::)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 18:29 »
THANK YOU ALL YEP I MALLETED THEM IN AT THE PLANTING STAGE oopps caps  i think the wid has rocked them alittle as its my first brussels do they suddenly sprout (no pun intended) when the weather gets cold then? because at the moment the sprouts are tiny

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 07:58 »
THANK YOU ALL YEP I MALLETED THEM IN AT THE PLANTING STAGE oopps caps 

Delete button not working either?  You could have spared us the shouting by correcting it before posting.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 15:54 »
As DD says, you can delete and start again, or use edit - never mind - you'll know next time. As for tiny sprouts - it depends on the variety as to when they will crop. Don't worry - I'm sure it will be ok. I use fencing posts to stake my brussels as I live in a very windy area - maybe that will help for next year.

xx
Brussels blown open again

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 21:33
by marcofez
xx
Blown Brussels sprouts

Started by Middle Eastern Gardener on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 29, 2020, 18:48
by Middle Eastern Gardener
xx
PSB blown over

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 19:20
by viettaclark
xx
blown sprouts

Started by deneview on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 09:36
by muntjac

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 28 queries.