Is moss good or bad?

• 6 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Is moss good or bad?
« on: September 26, 2010, 14:57 »
In our garden, anything that stands still for more than 15 minutes gets smothered in moss. I'm getting quite a bit of it forming on some of my veggie beds too, but I'm not really sure whether that's good or bad. I'm not sure whether moss takes its nutrition from the medium it's growing on (if it does, how does it survive on my roof?) or from the air. A tree surgeon once said to me moss only thrives in places with good air quality, which makes me think maybe it does take nutrition from the air. And if it does take it from the air, it may be a good thing on the soil because it definitely helps to deter any annual weeds.

Can anyone answer this?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Is moss good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 16:08 »
If it's on the soil then that's not a good sign, do a soil test to see if the soil is acid as I think this encourages moss......and are your beds in deep shade, cos that won't help either.
Compacted soil gets a lot of moss as well?

Christine

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 16:10 »
Moss can be a sign of bad drainage on soil.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 17:00 »
I thought lichens were supposed to be a sign of clean air not moss  :unsure:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 17:36 »
Moss is definitely a sign of bad drainage. Check to see if it is moss or pearlwort that can look like moss but is a weed. If moss, then dig in some sharp sand or grit.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 20:39 »
No, there's no drainage problems on the beds, and neither are they in shade. It's actually raised beds filled with sand-based imported topsoil just a year ago, and the drainage is great. It's regularly watered because it's a veggie bed, so certainly on a dry day it'd be damper than other beds that don't get watered, so maybe that would be an attraction for them. And whilst the bed itself is not in shade, at moss level they would be in the shade of my veggies. I wouldn't have thought there'd be any compaction either, as the beds are never walked on. I believe moss and lichen are both sensitive to pollution, and I think the two generally tend to do well in a similar environment.

But I was looking at the stuff today, around the base of my mangetout plants, which are still going great guns and still cropping even now. It is definitely suppressing the annual weed seeds because it's covering the bare soil, so if it's not taking away nutrition from the mangetout then it must be doing more good than harm.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 12:52 »
as I said before...check your soil ph the soil may just need a little lime added to stop the moss.

It did the trick in my garden ;)

xx
Not kate moss just moss

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 19:02
by Christine
xx
Moss

Started by 240173paul on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 09:17
by JayG
xx
Moss

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 01, 2017, 13:26
by Deborah1
xx
Moss ?

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 00:49
by viettaclark

Page created in 1.47 seconds with 30 queries.