poorly chick

• 4 Replies

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
poorly chick
« on: September 25, 2010, 16:04 »
My little silkie has a closed swollen eye and a little bit of a runny nose,she is making a slight sound as she draws breath and as she draws breath her head moves up as her beak opens.

ive had her for three weeks and she is very small compared to the other silkie and she has not grown much if any in that time

the other chickens let her eat and drink and she has been wandering around the garden with the group although sometimes she is left behind

is she the "runt" of her clutch and is just a sickly chick? none of my other chickens are displaying signs of illness,i have separated her from the group

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
Re: poorly chick
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 16:05 »
sorry forgot to ask if there is anything i can do?

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 16:31 »
I am not as experienced as others on this site and I am sure they will chime in and add or correct anything.

I think that separating her from the rest for the moment is a good idea in case it is infectious.  Keep your eye on the others to see if they develop similar symptoms

You can try taking her temperature by feeling under the wing of one of your other hens  and then under her wing to see if she feels any hotter.

You can check her crop and her vent

You can try worming her with flubenvet

It may be a good idea to identify a local chicken friendly vet if she has an infection because you will need antibiotics.

My little silkie is small but she is second in the pecking order and lets the others know it!  I wish you all the best.   :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 16:55 »
I think she needs a trip to a vets and some antibiotics. She could have myco and this could have come on through the stress of coming to a new home. Sadly some breeders breed from birds that have had myco and this illness is passed down through the egg to some chicks. The antibiotics will hopefully control the illness but it may erupt again in stressful times such as moulting  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 18:18 »
ive been cleaning her eye with a warm salt water solution to see if it clears up,if she has not improoved by tuesday ill take her to my vet.I know my vet quite well,so far this year its cost me 900 for the cat,1250 for one dog and about 600 for the other,not to mention the horse.

xx
poorly chick

Started by Gaz55 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 19:27
by Gaz55
xx
Chick with a poorly leg

Started by Nails on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 22:23
by Nails
xx
Poorly chick

Started by Jaspertilly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 22:14
by Junie
xx
Chick with poorly leg

Started by sheridal on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 08:27
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 28 queries.