poorly chick

• 11 Replies

Gaz55

poorly chick
« on: June 02, 2008, 00:22 »
Hello,can any body help with advice as to what to do about our ill 2week old chick...I  saved it from the pouring rain the other day at a farm shop business the other day ...It regurgitates water from it`s beak,after a series of neck craneings in a sideways movment...It also drops off to sleep for a few mins to wake up as  normal as  it has ever been...It`s poo is also very watery at the mo...Is in sour crop?I havn`t noticed any bad breath,it seems to be eating and drinking ok ...But does seems to be drinking a lot.
Gaz

peggyprice

poorly chick
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:35 »
Hi Gaz, I'm certainly no expert, specially when it comes to chicks, but have you checked out gapeworm?  I believe that causes the birds to do strange things with their necks & beaks.

I'm sure Aunty or one of the other more experienced chick keepers will be along to give you more info soon  :)
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Gaz55

poorly chick
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 00:11 »
Hello Peggy,
thanks for your reply...I had forgotten about gape worm, I was involved with rearing Pheasants many years ago(very much so not involved with that now !)...But on reflection I can remember they suffured with it quite a lot,so I will check it out...Starting to panic a bit now as the wee one was a pressie for my Wife to replace a Burma Star that died a couple of weeks ago...It seems to keep hanging in there at the moment,the trouble is as I explained it came from a farm with loads of them running about,so presumably they could pick up allsorts of ailments.
Kind regards Gary

peggyprice

poorly chick
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:31 »
Fingers crossed, Gaz - let us know how the little one gets on  :)

Foxy

poorly chick
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:23 »
Hi sounds quite poorly -poor little mite!
Well could be a few things firstly could just be unwell from being chilled and damp. Keep warm and dry, and make sure keeps drinking. Check no evidence of respiratory problems panting or laboured breathing.
If the head movements are twisting and combined by any other trembling then would indicate  neurological.
Have a feel also of the crop -possibly picked up more than he could chew at the farm.
This is just what I would do mind you. Immediately add vits to water (Poultry Boost) to combat any vit deficency and give an extra boost specially if he got damp and chilled too. Would add one drop wheat germ oil to a tiny spoon of plain yogurt mixed with chick crumb. Would do this once a day.
If looks like developing more like something neurological perhaps "fitting" I would dissolve one aspirin in a gallon of water and give that.
Good luck with the poor little fella -hopefully just needs some tlc from getting a bit beddraggled!
Keep us posted and fingers crossed!

Gaz55

poorly chick
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 01:43 »
hello "Foxy",
thanks for your reply...Iwill try some of your recomendations...At the moment she/he is intermitantly excreteing liquid from her beak occasionally, and this evening I noticed that she is gaping a bit and scratching at her neck area after eating...But other  than her periodic instant sleep scenarios after preening herself or streching for a whilst...She appears to be quite normal!...We are worried though, that she has something terminal though  as she is such a sweet thing.
Gaz

Gaz55

poorly chick
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 12:18 »
Hello, I ahave been away for a few days ,and my wife has been looking after the little one...He/She(need to find out how to sex Him or her ...not sure how to go about it at this age)...Anyway *? seems fine at the moment,allways keen to eat and dosn`t seem to be sicking up the liquid anymore ...So hopefully all good there! *? was having a dust bath when I last looked. :D
Kind Regards Gaz

muntjac

poorly chick
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 12:24 »
let it grow on and then you will see traits from iether cockerel or hen ,sorry but to say on here how to do it is a bit to trchnical for me to translate ,search for pics that can help on the site and also google it .. regs karl/anna
still alive /............

Gaz55

Chick-O-Dee
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:35 »
Thanks for the help I will keep my eye out for early signs of shaving etc lol!
Gaz

peggyprice

poorly chick
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 13:00 »
Glad to hear * is making progress   :lol:

Foxy

poorly chick
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 21:50 »
Awww fingers crosses he/she is on the mend! :lol:
piccies please! :lol:

Gaz55

Chick-O-Dee
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 19:27 »
I am not sure how to upload photo`s at the mo and I am off to Les Mans early in the morning ...So I will have a go when I return next week but she seems to be doing ok at the mo. :D

sad
poorly chick

Started by binarose on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 21:17
by binarose
xx
Poorly chick

Started by haydoe on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 21:36
by GrannieAnnie
sad
chick with poorly leg

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 17:42
by redspookycooky
xx
poorly chick can anyone help?

Started by massa on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 07:59
by joyfull

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 36 queries.