Fox Attack, Help Needed!

• 9 Replies

Andy Lewis

Fox Attack, Help Needed!
« on: September 19, 2010, 11:39 »
Mr Fox got in last night, about 3.30am he took off with our little white snowy. However the remaining 5 birds are in a bit of a state. One escaped unharmed, one seems ok, the other is alive but seems to have a broken neck(?)  one bird is missing the skin on her neck but is still breathing,  one bird seems shocked but ok our cockerel has bite marks around his neck, he was running round the garden, so i thought he was ok, but hes just stood in the kitchen now with his head hanging down maybe his necks damaged?

Is there anything i can do for them, or should i put them out of their misery? Any advice welcome.

I followed the feathers, and by pure chance found the foxes den in an embankment over the road, is there anything i can do about getting rid of it?

Cheers

evie2

Re: Fox Attack, Help Needed!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 12:56 »
Andy that's awful, Mr Fox took our little banty last year then came back for the other 2. 
I'd clean the wounds with salt water, put some blue spry on them and keep them somewhere warm and quiet and see a vet asap.  Although if they are badly injured.........?

I'd also have a good look round the coop and run and make it fox proof today because it will come back.

Hope the chickens just need some TLC
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 13:32 »
I so sorry. Clean the wouds with some warm salt water, If there is any puncture marks then you will need the vet asap. Foxes have nasty things in their mouthd and bites / puncture marks will probably need antibiotics and pain relief. You said that it seemed like one had a broken neck how is she. She definatly needs a vet to see her. Good luck let us know how things progress.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 13:42 »
I'm so sorry  :( If the neck is broken or really badly damage I think the kindest option for them would be to be pts. Wash puncture wounds in salt water and use an antiseptic spray. Keep the birds in a dark quiet place as this will help them to get over the shock and add a little honey to their water to help give them a boost. Where abouts are you in the UK? You are going to need antibiotics and ideally some metacam for the pain relief so a vets visit will be needed. I hope they do get better, and that the hen house can be re-fox proofed as sadly he will be back  :(

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 13:44 »
Bach's Rescue Remedy can help for the shock of the attack. 

Poultry - not suprisingly- find a fox attack a very stressful experience, and even birds not actually physically damaged can take a while to regain their normal spirits.

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Andy Lewis

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 14:02 »
Thank you for the replies, looks like two are too far gone to save. Not sure about the cockerel he has some control over his neck, im hoping its just bruised and swollen. He can hold his head up to some extent. The other hen just seems to be in a daze. Shes had some water, and was almost tempted by the mealworms...

As for the survivor, well its business as usual running round the garden eating bugs.

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 14:47 »
glad you are getting good guidance - just to say a big sorry to hear of such a shocking event, good luck  :(

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 15:37 »
So sorry to thear this.  I think you've had good avice already adn I can't add to it.  Keep us posted and remember - the fox will be back for the rest so be warned!

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 16:15 »
So sorry to hear about your hens  :(  I can't improve in the advice you've had already but just wanted to wish you good luck.  Keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

PaulineM

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 16:20 »
Shocking to hear your story, >:( the only thing I can add to what everyone else has advised would be to pee all round your coop as mens urine is suppose to scare them off, I doubt a hungry fox would be put off for long, but its worth a try. Also could you make a scare crow up, something that will move in the breeze. I know its a long shot but anything is worth trying. :(
Good Luck!!!!
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

xx
Urgent help needed after Arson attack

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 12:10
by VickyW
question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
Dog attack... ;(

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 13:47
by ANHBUC
xx
Cat attack?

Started by Stewart P on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 21:41
by barley

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 29 queries.