How can I tempt poorly hen

• 9 Replies

Ruby Red

How can I tempt poorly hen
« on: September 05, 2010, 10:15 »
I bought some new hens at the weekend and one is moping and sleeping lots and not eating much. I told a breeder friend and he gave me some powder to mix in water for all of my birds as he thinks she may have mycoplasma as another of my original birds shows coughing symptons. (My older bird was fine before I had the new ones. Yes I know I should have quaranteened but havent room sorry) Anyway the question is, though the new bird doesnt show the worse symptoms ( just a slight colourless mucus when you open her beak) she doesnt show much interest in her food. While I have been watching she will mill around very slowly bypassing the food and special water. I am drizzling the special water into her mouth every few hours from a sponge. What can I tempt her with food wise. I have cabbage sweetcorn and mixed corn at night. But she doesnt show any interest. Surely she must have eaten something in 4 days to be alive mustnt she. By the way the older bird is still eating loads though she is bunged up and coughing occasionally. Sorry its so long  thanks.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

bantam novice

Re: How can I tempt poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 10:42 »
Sorry to hear about your poorly chook.  :(     Maybe you need to take her to a chicken-friendly vet?  Good luck anyway.  :)   I'm sure someone more experienced will be able to give you some more advice.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:20 »
After advice from this board, I now give my babies porridge oats, mixed with live yoghurt, grated apple and chopped egg yolk and a spoonful of honey. They just love it and it seems to work wonders. Good luck with your babes. Ill keep fingers crossed for you.

Mary.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 13:43 »
One of the problems with livestock is that once they have stopped eating it can be difficult to get them to start again  Live mealworms seem to tempt even ill birds, and if she is not interested in those she is probably very ill indeed. 

If she goes for them after a while try mixing them in with some unmedicated chick feed if you have some.  If not in the past I have whizzed up some oatmeal, hardboiled egg and chickweed in the liquidizer, and that, garnished with a few mealworms sprinkled over the top of the feed dish can tempt the most delicate appetite.  Last year I had a Rouen duck that was being terrorised by the drake until she was afraid to eat anything, but this brought her round, and she went on to lay eggs within the season.

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Ruby Red

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:05 »

Just an update. I have 8 mixed hens and this Mycoplasma went through 5 of the 8. They all went off their food and were very listless and moped around not showing any interest in anything. Im pleased to say that with me dosing them individually twice a day for 5 days they are now all clear. No coughs or runny noses or rattling chests. Im so pleased that all of them have pulled through including my oldest who is a little wyandotte. She had a very swollen face and one of her eyes were closed. Im so happy at the moment.  :D

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:23 »
Well done, Ruby, sounds like you did a great job.  :)

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 12:30 »
Mycoplasma is brought on by stress. You have to be sure that you don't breed from the girls. If you get anymore it is best if they can go into quarantine for a while before introducing them to the others.

Ruby Red

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 17:47 »
Mycoplasma is brought on by stress. You have to be sure that you don't breed from the girls. If you get anymore it is best if they can go into quarantine for a while before introducing them to the others.

Funnily enough I bought the new  hens from a lady who had them on show at a fruit and veg event. Then they were transferred to another environment ie my home where they had to get on with other hens and all the stress that involves. The chap I know who gave me the antibiotics said he wishes ppl would mention this as ppl could be forarmed and on the lookout for it.

louiseb22

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 20:27 »
only very new myself and our chooks were very snotty and sneezing and some coughing within a few days of bringing them home (with us two weeeks now) i first tried crushed raw garlic and apple cider vin in their water it made them a little better but then tried herban liquid some advice said use it, others said dont....started using it 4 days ago and only 1 out of 6 now has a slightly runny nose but not discolourd or mucosy and they are looking much better and eating everything i throw into the garden as someone said on another post ..."its like chicken rugby!" especially with ripe tomatoes, raspberries and stawberries!! they also get garlic flakes with oyster shells.
good luck hope you get the advice you need
Louise 
1 Coral Nick, 1 Rhode Rock, 1 Light Sussex,  2 Speckledy, 1 Columbian blactail, 2 welsummer, 1 Columbine
and 18 ducks/drakes/ducklings mix xxx

Jeanette

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 14:05 »
If at any time girls get stressed for any reason at any time it can bring on mycoplasma it is a bit like our cold sore virus (herpes) once you have got it it is there for good. Sorry :(

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly old Ex-bat

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 22:17
by Ice
xx
Another poorly hen

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 16:55
by New shoot
xx
help I have a poorly hen

Started by jo corbett on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 20:52
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 28 queries.