broken eggs on the decking area!

• 2 Replies

louiseb22

broken eggs on the decking area!
« on: September 18, 2010, 21:51 »
lately one of my girls (non laying so far, but being bullied) is remaining in the coop on a morning when the others come out for a roam around the garden. i have to coax her out or remove her. this morning i thought i would see if she would come out on her own...she didn't... then i found two eggs on the decking area broken. i know they stand when they lay so thats why they are broken but wondering why they layed there when all previous eggs have been in the nest box? they may have been first eggs and/or only the second attempt.

will laying hens not go to a coup to lay when another chuck is in there?
hope this makes sense!
1 Coral Nick, 1 Rhode Rock, 1 Light Sussex,  2 Speckledy, 1 Columbian blactail, 2 welsummer, 1 Columbine
and 18 ducks/drakes/ducklings mix xxx

Fisherman

Re: broken eggs on the decking area!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 06:42 »
When hens first start to lay they tend to get confused and lay in odd places and at various times during the day. They usually settle down after a couple of weeks and generally lay in the same nest box each day. You may find that your hen the doesn't want to come out of the coop first thing is because it just wants to stay in to lay (one of mine does every morning at first light).

Yes hens will go in the coop to lay when others are there. If you meant will they go in the nest box when others are then yes they will assuming there is enough room. Three of mine try to get in together in one nest box when there's only just enough room for two. The one that doesn't manage to get in just waits a while until there's room. Why I do not know as there are plenty of other nest boxes to lay in (it must be chicken thing).

If none of them are going in the nest box its worth checking that there are no mites lurking putting them off.

louiseb22

Re: broken eggs on the decking area!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:31 »
great thanks for your help. others are going in the nest box to lay 2 one day 3 the next so hopefully the broken eggs are from 2 new but confused layers :) the one who tries to stay in there i dont think is a layer yet.
many thanks x

xx
Broken Eggs!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 17:08
by joyfull
xx
Broken eggs

Started by Jenni on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 14:22
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Broken eggs!

Started by Mrs Tweedy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 19:41
by AmandaH
xx
broody has broken all but 2 eggs - why?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 07:42
by joyfull

Page created in 0.573 seconds with 28 queries.