need help with my veg list for next year

• 10 Replies

drmoonshine

• Experienced Member
need help with my veg list for next year
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:57 »
was trying to upload an excell doc so you could open it and edit but for some reason this site dont allow it never mind here is a pic makes it harder for you guys but hey

ive wrote down what i want to grow and filled in all of the info i can but there is some still missing that i really could use your help with i need some what of a hardcore kitchen gardener to look over it and fill the gaps in for me and or change anything that you think would be better. so i have a full list the main thing i am stuck with is plant space in rows and also the spacing in each row before another plantand also i am stuck with when to sow and when to plant out im a bit confused with this.... do i sow in seed trays and then plant out? into finishing possition?

thank you for anyone that helps me with anything of the questions i have. and  huge thankyou to the person who is willing to help me fill my list in as when this is done i can move onto the next stage and plan when to plant them in what order

note

the alotment itself is empty only half was used this year so the other half needs digging up weeding and manuring

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: need help with my veg list for next year
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 13:29 »
Welcome to the site  :D Feel free to pop into the welcome forum to introduce yourself properly.

Please could you amend your profile to show where you are?  It can make a huge difference to timings and varieties.

Spacings within and between rows will depend on variety.  The seed packets will tell you what is necessary.  If you need a reference book then I'd consider Dr Hessayon's Veg Expert as that gives good general figures.

Sowing / planting out again will depend on the plant.  Some can be sown direct into the soil, some into pots outdoors before planting out (e.g. brassicas), some will need to be sown under cover and planted out after last frost (e.g. tomatoes, cucumbers.)  Again the seed packet is your best guide.

If you can get a garlic variety for planting in autumn it's a good idea, as it provides a period of cold for the bulb to split.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

TheSpartacat

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 13:46 »
Hello and welcome to allotmenteering!! :)

Totally agree about planting garlic in Autumn- you'll get a much better crop!!

Beetroot- you might have to thin! A beetroot seed is actually two seeds stuck together, you'll notice that every 'seed' produces 2 seedlings. Don't allow the dirt to get too compacted and it should be easy. I like to leave space next to my row of beets to create a second row from replanted thinnings.

Cabbages- i like to start mine in trays, where i can control slugs more easily, then plant out when they have about 4 leaves. can pick the strongest seedlings then too.

Leeks, start in trays and put into final place around June. I use the dibber to make holes about 4-6 inches apart and just drop the leeks in- they sort themselves out from there!

Alternate your rows of onions with your carrots! The onions deter carrot fly, and the carrots deter onion fly. And the onions help you see where your carrot rows are coz they take an age to germinate. Covering with agricultural fleece is good too. I put my carrot rows about 6 inches apart, and pop a row of onions between them- they don't really compete much with each other for space.

POtatoes- highly subjective to taste. I really liked my Maris Peer this year- i could furtle around and get a few small new potatoes out and leave the rest to get bigger. they mash well, and were pretty resistant to scab and pests.
I also left my Lord Rosebery second earlies to get bigger and some got huge! Nice and fluffy too when cooked. Not too waxy. I prefer floury over waxy for mash.

Tomatoes- sow in feb/mar indoors- i plant out in late May when all chance of frost is gone. Keep them far away from your potatoes as possible- to reduce blight infection

I notice you don't have french beans on the list. If you do decide to grow any, i heartily recommend Cupidon, available from realseeds. They produced a hefty crop for me, and don't go stringy when you let them grow big!

Good luck

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:05 by TheSpartacat »

TheSpartacat

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 13:51 »
Oh, for advice on spacing and how to grow different veg, i really recommend Joy Larkcom's book, Grow Your Own Vegetables... its a no nonsense book and packed with info, especially on how to get the most out of a plot space, with cut and come again growing, and space saving planting. :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 15:02 »
Something wrong with the books written by our very own Mr. J Harrison?

As for beetroot seed, you can now get "monogerm" varieties which just have one seed in them, the traditional ones can have up to 5 or so.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

TheSpartacat

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 15:36 »
Something wrong with the books written by our very own Mr. J Harrison?

DD... good point!   8)
I've not read it yet, as i'm new to this site... (its on my 'list') but i would imagine it's a veg growers bible... and free seeds with every order!
Boo hiss to Joy Larkcom... she's not got a lotty i'd bet!  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 16:15 »
Boo hiss to Joy Larkcom!  I think not.  She probably had more lotties than we have had hot dinners. She knows her onions and her book on veg growing is brill

So is John's   :D

TheSpartacat

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 23:49 »
Boo hiss to Joy Larkcom!  I think not.  She probably had more lotties than we have had hot dinners. She knows her onions and her book on veg growing is brill

So is John's   :D
LOL yup, i do love that book... i was kidding

drmoonshine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 00:14 »
thank you to all who have posted. really welcoming forum here

updated account im from the midlands

thank you for all the info you have given me it has helps me understand some questions i was unsure about.

thank you

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 07:20 »
You're welcome!

Thanks for popping to says thanks. So often questions are asked and we never get to know if the poster even saw the answers!

drmoonshine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 09:03 »
no worrys ill be on here for a very long time to come DD its took me long enough to find an active forum for growing. im a member of a handfull of forums all with over 2000 posts so im some what of an active member when i find something good :)

ill put up a post in the welcome section as soon as i can. to give some background on what i have. looking to write a diarie also starting sometime this year my site is rundown some what so would be good to see how it comes along with plenty of photos and stuff

thank you

dave

xx
Do you keep a produce list every year

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 02:47
by shokkyy
xx
seed/fruit list for this year..

Started by G*R*O*W*M*A*N on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 10, 2007, 00:50
by king cauli
xx
Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
by Rob the rake
question
Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
by cc

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 28 queries.