Do you keep a produce list every year

• 27 Replies

Beetroot queen

Do you keep a produce list every year
« on: May 10, 2013, 14:25 »
We did in the first few years we listed everything we took from the plot and then worked out how much it would have cost us at a leading supermarket. It was mind blowing but then we had a year off due to florences birth and then last year ....... Well that says enough.

I am going to do it again. Is anyone else this sad  :wub:

Dai

• Experienced Member
Re: Do you keep a produce list every year
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 15:11 »
The only thing im keeping a record of at the moment (because its my first year growing) is a wall planner of when and what im sowing, but yours sounds like an excellent idea! its definitely good practice to track what you would be buying and good incentive when you learn how much you save each year.

Think ill definitely steal this idea for myself, Thanks!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 15:15 »
Er... no...  weight the odd thing but not record of overall yields (well not last year anyhow)

You've got me thinking though - my spreadsheet for this year details the following:
* Sowing Date
* Gernination Date
* Potting up date
* Planting out date
* First harvest date

might be quite easy to add some columns for yield and value!!

Having said that if I keep an account of yields and value I should keep an account of what I spend to go with it, which might be a bit scary as I'm only in my second year so still buying tools and hardware items rather than just consumables - but then I could split them... asume how none consumables will last and make an % calculation based on that?  Oh... this is becoming too complicated for something I do for fun!!!

H :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 15:21 »
Our first year we saved 840 pound and that was while the plot was being dug so half wasn't planted and some was unable to harvest as they are long term projects like asparagus. It's worth while doing, I don't worry about outgoings too much as our defined beds ar a luxury not necessity.

Yes I may take in the annual rent but 840 pound in veg is not to be sniffed at believe me.
It makes you realise exactly how much you do take off the plot and then you can laugh when you see three sticks of rhubarb for 1.99 or 12 raspberries for 2.50 lol go on just for a year.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 15:32 »
I keep a list of what I plant, varieties and such; when sown and then a report as to how successful (or not ::) ) the crop was.

I never was able to keep a diary and my planting one is just as bad!
So I just write the important things, with photos in my allotment journal ;)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 15:36 »
I was never a great diary writer but this one is one that I did keep up with. I set the kids up with the computer comparing weights etc on tesco's lol good for their maths skills and kept them quiet for a few hours. The one bit I didn't add was the community poly tunnel harvest which I should of because I think we probably had more than a few hundred in toms alone  :blink:

It's amazing how it all adds up. My red cabbage at 11lb 7oz was interesting to find a comparison though. We had to convert some to weight rather than each item alone

ryetek

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 16:18 »
Is anyone else this sad  :wub:

I am afraid so. As with Willow_Warren we keep a spreadsheet with very similar details on it. We don't keep a record of the value of our produce however. In all honesty I don't care (and I think my OH would agree) if gardening cost more than the produce we grow. We allotmenteer simply because we enjoy it and the produce is generally so much more tasty than equivalent supermarket stuff and you know it's chemical free.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 16:22 »
Is anyone else this sad  :wub:

I am afraid so. As with Willow_Warren we keep a spreadsheet with very similar details on it. We don't keep a record of the value of our produce however. In all honesty I don't care (and I think my OH would agree) if gardening cost more than the produce we grow. We allotmenteer simply because we enjoy it and the produce is generally so much more tasty than equivalent supermarket stuff and you know it's chemical free.

It's another pro though on why to keep a plot. I wouldn't change it even if the reward wasn't huge but it's a lovely surprise to try even if just for a year. I'll go back to my sad step. Lol

ryetek

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 16:26 »
I'll go back to my sad step. Lol

Indeed!  I'm already there in mind even if not in person :lol:

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 16:28 »
I don't think I have the patience but it sounds like a very interesting idea...I wonder if Mrs Rabbit would be interested in doing the maths!!

We eat a lot of veg and the kids love rasps, strawbs, blueberries etc (all the expensive stuff) so growing it rather than buying it was one of the major factors in getting a plot. We've just planted 14 raspberry canes so hopefully we'll have enough  :)

rosegarden

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 18:15 »
I've been keeping an allotment journal since 2005 which is quite a shock since i did'nt realise that I had had the allotment that long!!  time flies when you are enjoying something.  I think its a great idea but would advise that you write it up straight away because you will never remember all the varieties etc. I also record what I've done on certain days and when veg has been sown - it becomes more useful as years go by. 

Beetroot queen

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 18:28 »
I've been keeping an allotment journal since 2005 which is quite a shock since i did'nt realise that I had had the allotment that long!!  time flies when you are enjoying something.  I think its a great idea but would advise that you write it up straight away because you will never remember all the varieties etc. I also record what I've done on certain days and when veg has been sown - it becomes more useful as years go by.

Yes I walk in the door and weigh my fruit immediately. I have always had "issues" as my husband calls them. It's
So easy to forget how much we do take from these little patches of land, we looked back and said really did we have that many raspberries etc

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 18:36 »
When I moved into my current house 14 years ago it was the first time I didn't have to beg, borrow, or share somewhere to grow fruit and veg, and I must admit I did weigh my first runner bean crop (think it was about 73lbs from a 12' double row and I seem to remember feeling as if I'd just won the lottery!)

Don't do that now - some crops (like sweet corn) are priceless no matter what the yield!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 19:05 »
When I moved into my current house 14 years ago it was the first time I didn't have to beg, borrow, or share somewhere to grow fruit and veg, and I must admit I did weigh my first runner bean crop (think it was about 73lbs from a 12' double row and I seem to remember feeling as if I'd just won the lottery!)

Don't do that now - some crops (like sweet corn) are priceless no matter what the yield!  :)

Hehe how much would 73lb of runners cost at today's price, I need a crop like that as people are after my runner bean chutney  :unsure:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 19:24 »
I don't really need to weigh the produce and compare prices - I know mine are much cheaper, especially when I've had to go and buy something that 1) I failed to sow 2) it failed to grow, and then I'm reeling in shock at what I've had to pay  :lol:

xx
need help with my veg list for next year

Started by drmoonshine on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 09:03
by drmoonshine
xx
seed/fruit list for this year..

Started by G*R*O*W*M*A*N on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 10, 2007, 00:50
by king cauli
xx
My 1st Produce

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 10:48
by Plottered
xx
first produce

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 05, 2006, 10:51
by lentil987

Page created in 0.695 seconds with 38 queries.