Shall I add to my flock????

• 11 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Shall I add to my flock????
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:18 »
AS you all warned me, this chicken keeping malarkey is ridiculously addictive, and knowing I have the space for a couple more chooks is driving me to distraction.
I've had my ex-batts 4 weeks this Sunday coming, and I'm considering getting a couple of 'normal' chickens to add to my lovely bunch of girls.  Since Sue went, I've been toying with the idea of a few more, I've got a Coop that fits 10, and my remaining 3 are rattling around inside it like a marble in a mansion.
THey can be quarantined in the shed for a couple of weeks, and I can section off part of the run so they can live alongside each other until they're friends.
Do you think it's too soon and any ideas on what type I should get, if I do get some???
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

bantam novice

Re: Shall I add to my flock????
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:49 »
I think that having more chooks will help them all to keep warm in the winter.  :)  There's lots of good info in this forum about quarentine and introducing new hens.  Keep the purple spray handy! A lot of choice comes down to personal preference but I think a good place to start is look at what you want the hens for.  If it is eggs there are breeds that are better for that.  If you want a hen for brooding eggs, for example, it may be a good idea to go for a silkie that will go broody regularly.  I understand that hybrids produce more eggs and are less likely to go broody but do not live as long.  You may get a Point of Lay (POL) that turns out to be a cockerel and will have to decide whether to keep it or not.
Sorry to ramble!  I'm sure more experienced people will be along to give you more advice.  The best of luck!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:53 »
 :D hooked!  :D have a good look around at pics etc, visit a few breeders if you are lucky enough to live close to some and then go shopping with your long list - it doesn't matter if you have a dolly mixture  :tongue2: the only problem is not getting one of each you see.  :blink:

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 13:23 »
Hi Carla
It sounds like you have the right facilities to add to your flock, and as you took on ex batts first time it would be nice to pick some ones that are dare i say prettier (sorry that sounds awful but you know what I mean). I have one Isa and she has one of the best personalities!
I got 6 to start of with and mine are mixed breeds which is good as they lay different coloured and sized eggs so it makes it easier to see who is laying etc.
Go on and treat yourself!  ;)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 15:31 »
Yes it would be ok to add more girls but i would make sure that the ex bats are 100
percent healthy first. It can take ex bats a long time to fully recover from the cages and get all their feathers back. If you do get more girls be prepared for them sorting out the pecking order they can be very nasty. As you said keep them seperate but let them see each other, when you do put them together make sure you have extra feeders and water stations so they don't have to fight for food and water, Also put upturned buckets on its side so they have places to go and escape. Once they have been put together don't seperate them again and have purple spray on hand for any wounds. Good luck.

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 20:31 »
Personally I would wait until next spring before adding to your flock. Let your ex batts settle in properly over the winter and see what sort of problems you encounter in the cold and wet weather. Likely as not any new birds introduced now won't be that productive from an egg laying point of view until next spring anyway. Any health problems with your ex batts will by then be eliminated and there will be lots of young POL birds to select from.

Bets of luck whatever you decide.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 20:38 »
can I add to this thread if I can be so cheeky and ask if you hatch chicks naturally do you have the same pecking order / bullying problems at the start and if not what about hatching chicks in an incy then adding them to the flock ?? How does that work??
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 12:16 »
I've decided not to add to the flock until the spring, as Fisherman said, see what the winter brings :/ THey deserve a bit of time with no competition anyway, I'm just being selfish wanting to expand this soon, they need a bit of 'me' time, before having to worry about a new pecking order. 

I've been looking at chookies for next year though and I've quite fallen for Blubelles??? ANyone know anything about them? They had them on the farm where I fetched the ex-batts from, and they're supposed to be suitable for the garden, hardy and good around kids. ANyone have any experience with them? They're so pretty :)
bluebell-1.jpg

Jeanette

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 12:26 »
I have got bluebells and they are quite big birds much bigger than ex bats. They are beautifull girls but always pushing all the others out of the way to get everything, they are very greedy and would eat everything without the others getting near the food.
They are also very friendly and follow you around everywere. Good luck in what you do choose.
I think you are doing the right thing leaving it for a while before getting anymore. As we always say chicken keeping is very addictive.

orchardlady

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 17:42 »
I think I must agree with everyone else. Try a winter with your ex bats. A winter with 'normal' hens is tough enough. Trudging down the garden in wind and rain, mud  and pitch dark is not so fun. :lol:

Fisherman

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 18:14 »
Carla
I have a Blubelle and she is my favourite bird but not the flocks as she's at the bottom of the pecking order. She's a right mischevous devil and makes me laugh every day as she's so fast that the others can't catch her to give her a daily thrashing although she gets a bit of a beating at roosting time. She loves getting mucked up to the eyeballs when digging for worms and trashing the garden. She's also a good layer and hasn't missed a day since spring. Bluebelles are meant to lay brown eggs but mine lays cream coloured eggs but not to worry. I think they are a cross between a Cuckoo Maran and a Rhode Island Red and are good natured and friendly birds.

Worth buying when you expand your flock.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 18:30 »
I'm sold  :D  COme the summer, I'll have a couple of beautiful bluebells living in my garden :)  Nellie is back at the bottom of the pecking order now Flo's feeling better, so it will be nice for her to have some friends that understand  :lol: :lol:

xx
Age to add to flock

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 21:20
by ANHBUC
xx
Flock mix

Started by VickyW on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2012, 20:59
by ANHBUC
xx
My flock grows

Started by BigPaddy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 08:54
by kimT
xx
Age to add chicks to flock ?

Started by Sideshoot on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 08:22
by Casey76

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 30 queries.