Just a few beginners questions

• 4 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Just a few beginners questions
« on: September 11, 2010, 16:50 »
Hi there, I've just got a few questions in preparation of my chickens arriving.

Firstly, this may be a daft question but do I have to clean the hutch before my chickens can go in it?  It is bran new.

Secondly, can the chicken coop go directly on to earth or does it need to be placed on grass? I'm sure I heard someone mention that they were placing their coop on the veg plot over the winter. 

I have to say this site is great for gathering information and advice. 

Kind Regards.

bantam novice

Re: Just a few beginners questions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 17:22 »
Not really going to give advice; just wanted to say good luck with your new girls  :)  I am not experienced but I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to advise you.  You could also check out Aunt Sally's useful information pages about setting up. Keep us posted!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 18:26 »
Thank you, can't wait to post some photo's.

oborne27

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 21:03 »
Hi
personally I would clean the hutch out if it was brand new as you never know if there are any pathogens etc hidding in there. use a sterilant and let it dry then put in the bedding etc. I also use diatom powder to keep the red mite away. I then do a complete clean monthly and a partial (if there is anything to do) daily.

As to the floor of the run then grass is best this may not last long. Mine are on bark over dug soil. the run also has a cover for rainy days (i take it off when its not raining). the bark/soil mix allows them to dust bath and sun bathe.

I hope that helps.
Geoff.

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 22:58 »
As suggested grass is good. If you are able to move your house around all the better to deter rats making their home there. If you want to put it onto dug earth that's fine when dry but you will need to think about mud etc once the real winter sets in. I would also suggest if possible to put the corners of the house and run up on 1 brick at each corner. The hens will not get out from that little space and it stops the wood from sitting on wet ground permanently and rotting. I really does not take long for rot to start and then your house/run is done for unless you are good with DIY repairs.

xx
help for beginners

Started by jules1962 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 08, 2010, 08:48
by rachelr
xx
Beginners advice

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 17:22
by beth123
xx
More beginners advice please

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 14:26
by bantam novice
xx
Beginners advice

Started by Frazer on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 11:12
by kegs

Page created in 1.484 seconds with 28 queries.