More beginners advice please

• 4 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
More beginners advice please
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:11 »
Hi

After spending hours of researching I've finally decided to go for a Speckledy, Rhode Island Red based hybrid and a Light Sussex. I purchased a beginners guide to looking after chickens and it states that different breeds will live happily together.  However, it goes on to state that you are better buying hens that have previously lived together as to avoid conflict.  This is where the confusing begins.  Am I better getting 3 of the same breed or is it ok to have a mixture of hens?  I'm intending to buy them at around 18 weeks old.

Also is there any major problems with any of the breeds I've mentioned?  This is my first time at looking after chickens so would like some thing that it quite easy to look after.

Thanks   

Jeanette

Re: More beginners advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:12 »
They are all beautiful girls and it will be ok to mix them up. There should'nt be to much fighting as they are all going to a new place together and it won't be anyones territory to have to fight over.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:29 »
Hi,  I have 5 different breeds of hens and they all get along very well.  The breeder that I got them from had all the young birds together so they had all lived in the one place.  If you were to go to, lets say, 4 different breeders and get one hen from each and then put them together you could have problems.  For one, it is advisable to quarantine new birds from others which could mean you should keep each hen separate until two weeks are up but to be honest from what I have read not everyone does that.  You could potentially have more pecking etc but having said that as they would all be new it might be they would all be nervous and not have too many issues with each other - there is always a pecking order though and I think most people expect to have some problems.  I hope this helps but someone else is sure to come along with more information for you.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 10:40 »
Thanks for the advice I do feel more confident now.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 14:26 »
Good luck!   :)  Please post some pics if you can when they arrive.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
Beginners advice

Started by Frazer on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 11:12
by kegs
xx
Beginners advice

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 17:22
by beth123
xx
help for beginners

Started by jules1962 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 08, 2010, 08:48
by rachelr
xx
Just a few beginners questions

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 22:58
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 28 queries.