Courgettes and Marrows

• 4 Replies

Dawn in the North

Courgettes and Marrows
« on: July 24, 2006, 21:06 »
Hi,

I am growing Cougettes Zucchini F1 - I saw is Oliver's post in the topic hiya that the cougettes had been picked when they are very small (everything looks great by the way Oliver).  Should I do this or should I be waiting until they are supermaket size :?:

I am also growing Marrows - variety Ronde de Nice - I had one get to about golf ball size then it went squishy at the end :cry: .  Should they get any bigger (the packet was'nt very specific  - just pick Aug-Oct and my bible does'nt have this variety in.

On a side note, I am very excited, my chillies seem to be developing flowers and my tomoatoes are starting to turn red (inside on a widowsill) :D .

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Regards

Dawn
Dawn in the North
Aberdeen

Jake

• Rockers
Courgettes and Marrows
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 22:10 »
I think you should start picking the corgettes. You'll end up with a massive glut if you leave them all on. Like, I'm a bit fed up with them to be honest and wish I had eaten more when they were tiny.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Oliver

Eat them!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 23:22 »
Quote from: "Jake"
I think you should start picking the corgettes. .
Yep - eat them tiny, they are succulent and tasty. Try them like the Greeks do in a rich tomato sauce with rice or cous cous.

If you leave them (or one escapes your notice) you can end up with things that look like marrows. Fred won the biggest marrow content last year in the show with a courgette! (I feel that a courgette (English) or Zuchinni (American or Italian) is just a variety of (immature) Marrow. So you could also eat very young marrows.

The trick is, however, grow just as many plants as you think you can eat. They have four plants and even that produces a lot! Courgette soup is very nice in the winter, so bigger courgettes can be made into soup base and frozen for later use.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
Courgettes and Marrows
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 00:46 »
Agreed eat them small. At this time of year they can double in size overnight. I must admit though to still having a tendency to growmore rhan I can use, however, surpluses are prized amongst friends more so than the likes of lettuce etc.
Ah well ! There is always next year !

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
Courgettes and Marrows
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 23:42 »
After a short spell of weather I'm starting to find that friends are getting fed up with courgettes and prefer lettuce :(   Will need to try and make a few more friends or grow less courgettes :wink:

xx
Courgettes vs Marrows

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 19:31
by Big Jen
xx
Courgettes and marrows

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 12:44
by savbo
xx
Courgettes or Marrows?

Started by Wellpotty1 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 00:30
by shokkyy
xx
marrows, courgettes, butternut squash, pumpkin

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 07:26
by gobs

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 36 queries.