chicken netting

• 13 Replies

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
chicken netting
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:32 »
My girls have been here a week and I'd like to let them out this weekend. The garden isn't fully secure so I'd like to square off an area in a moving fence, that I can just put up when they're out with us in the garden.

Not a big budget at all, and not electric, does anyone know what I could use. I guess chicken wire would be very cumbersome so some sort of netting maybe?

I'd love some help! 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: chicken netting
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:03 »
you can buy the electric fencing and poles in 25m, 50m, 100m etc - it doesn't need to be plugged into anything just use it as a moveable netted area. It is not expensive if you are not buying all the electrical stuff to go with it. Remember though that if your garden is not secure then predators can get in  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:08 »
I use the 900mm heavy duty wire fencing from wilkinsons. The green plastic covered type with the 100x40 mm holes, it is nearly self supporting and non tangle.
It was about £15 for 12m. Not high enough to be escape proof but if you are in the garden you can retrieve the occasional hen that goes OTT.

tedsdad

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 08:11 »
Have you ever seen thoe high movable barriers they use to fence off building sites?  they sling them when they get a bit bent,make friends with your local scaffolder/builder.Longterm think aabout a combined house\run you can move around.

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 08:12 »
I use the 900mm heavy duty wire fencing from wilkinsons. The green plastic covered type with the 100x40 mm holes, it is nearly self supporting and non tangle.
It was about £15 for 12m. Not high enough to be escape proof but if you are in the garden you can retrieve the occasional hen that goes OTT.

Or you could make a frame up with chicken wire which would cost you around £30 - £40 to make.
I have strawberry cage netting on my run which stops any escapes  :)

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 08:22 »
Thanks everyone,

Just to clarify this is the set up I currently have http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/info_HH6R.html

We want them to be able to range a bit when we are out in the garden.  Because our garden has hedges which we have not yet 'sealed in' at the bottoms with chicken wire, and because the garden wraps around the house with no division, we can't really let them absolutely loose yet.  I just wanted to be able to put up a temporary fence so that when we are in the garden, and want to let them out with us, we know they are penned in. Does that make more sense?

Ooh, and they are Silkies, so I don't think it will need to be too high, as they don't fly.

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 14:06 »
My silkie managed to fly so I had to clip her wings to keep her safe!  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 14:14 »
Eeek!!  That is not good!!  Did she fly far?

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 20:13 »
She flew over the electric netting to the other end of the garden.  She must have taken off from the coop roof  but luckily did not get out onto the golf course or into the undergrowth beyond the garden fence (lots of badgers and foxes).  We managed to get her back ...just!  An early lesson in how not to recapture a chicken  ::)

orchardlady

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 21:40 »
I would say the flexible poultry netting would be ideal for when you are in the garden. They will have no need to escape as the area you pen off will be fresh ground and have loads to do and see.

Good luck.

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 05:45 »
I have the wire fencing mentioned by 8doubles, with electric fence posts also mentioned by joy, and cheep garden netting over the top, very easy to put up and move around if you want.
have pm'd you.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:51 by Bantymad »

robinson

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 22:01 »
I have a fixed run on the allotment but when I am there I like to let the girls help with the weeding!  I use chicken wire and bamboo canes to secure an area.  The bamboo just threads through a hole at the top and bottom of the chicken wire and I push them into the ground.  It is then really easy to move or shape to fit a patch I would like the girls help on!

Paula

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 07:28 »
That sounds exactly what I want to do Paula.

Seems there is a gap in the market for green safety fencing, I can't find any anywhere!

I think I will have to go for chicken wire. Do you find it cumbersome to roll up again? 

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 10:24 »
Well, I went for the orange safety fencing that Wickes do in the end and made them a little pen they can come out into when I'm in the garden. 

Looks bloomin' awful mind!!!!!!!!!!!

xx
Chicken Netting

Started by cejx on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 16:09
by joyfull
xx
Electric netting....

Started by Diva on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 10:39
by Foxy
xx
Avice please over netting?

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 20:23
by doodoo
clip
Poultry fencing/netting

Started by Ema on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 21, 2020, 19:40
by greenjay

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 29 queries.