Ducklings mother hen

• 5 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Ducklings mother hen
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:57 »
Hi,
We have some 5 week old Indian Runners hatched by our Light Sussex Snowy, at the moment they are in a pen but mum is let out during the day.

My question is, when we let them out to free range what happens.  Will Snowy stay in the duck house or will she return to the coop. She stays close to the pen now and we encourage her back at night. She is very protective and a really good mum but does not have anything to do with the other chickens during the day. 
Not sure this makes sense :unsure:

Can anyone who has had the same experience help me out please?

Thanks
Kathie
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

bantam novice

Re: Ducklings mother hen
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 21:18 »
Hello there,
I've had no experience with ducks but from what I have read and heard the mother hen will lose interest when she is ready and will rejoin the other hens at that point.  I'm sure someone more experienced will be along to answer your question more fully.   :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 22:04 »
Well I've only just started keeping ducks this Spring but have kept hens for 15 years and have dealt with many a broody/mother hen. She sounds like an excellent mum and you probably have nothing to worry about. She will look after her children (ducklings) just the same as if they were her own flesh and blood because she really believes they are! I keep my ducks pended off from the hens simply because the hens are more pushy with food than the ducks but have recently let the ducks out to free range with the hens. They are young adults but stick together like glue as they wander the field for grubs, bugs, snails and other yummy's. My guess would be that your little family will stick together. Herding chickens is like herding cats but herding ducks is well like herding ducks they seem to flow together like water. Think of all the Goose and Duck Fairs in days gone by. They were herded for hundreds of miles but I've never heard of herding chickens to market!!!! The ducklings will have 'imprinted' very strongly with their mother hen and will stay with her so if you are confident with her abilities go for it. Best of luck.

PS I would love to hear how your broody/mother hen copes with the time water and swimming is introduced to the ducklings!

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 13:30 »
My hen raised a brood of ducklings last year and this year. Each time, she decided when she/they were ready to fend for themselves. I cannot remember how old they were, but I think it might have been around 8 weeks or so. Anyway, once they get to teenage-hood, and 5 weeks is about that, then they will begin to grow apart. My hen just decided to go to the roost one night rather than to the duck house. I would guess that by now she is not really rosey much for them to come when she finds food, and not keeping them warm anymore. I found that my mummy hen was very good at integrating the babies into the flock (of her sisters) as she provided protection for them until they will big enough.

I would therefore suggest that if you are going to eventually free range them all together then you do this before she abandons them and before they get any older as she will lose her maternal instincts once they grow up, and she may not welcome them into the flock at that point. They will then have a much harder time with both the flock and their own mum bullying them. Mine have had that protection and it has meant that a hierarchy has been settled from the start. The ducks are at the bottom, Mum now no longer actively sticks up for them (but never bullies them), and there is harmony.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 14:27 »
Thanks everyone, you have all been very helpful and supportive.  We have been letting mum out of the run to free range during the day for a week now, however we encouraged her back in when it rained as she just sat by the pen and got soaked (at least in the pen she had shelter in and under the house).

Since Friday we have been letting the ducks out for an hour or so, my they are  noisy, cute and very, very fast, and I have been wandering round as part of the flock a) to make sure they didn't try to get in the pond as it is very large and b) so that they can get used to me or OH being around.

As they get bigger (5 weeks now) I will let them out for longer, it gives me a good excuse not to do housework! I suppose it will be a matter of how they get on before I stop being part of the flock.  I've watched them run for cover if buzzards fly past so I think mum has done a really good job.

As for her rosey when there is food, she stopped a while back as they have just ignored her since she went into full panic mode when they all tried to get into the water bowl.  They started off in a pyrex dish and have now graduated to a washing up bowl, only one can fit in now or 2 standing :D

Sorry this turned into an epic!!! Thanks again all
Kathie

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 18:02 »
Hi Kathie, I didn't realise you were the same person when I replied to your other thread about water!

Another thing I thought of, if you do let them onto the big pond for any length of time in the future, unless it is pretty much the size of a small lake then make sure you either have a brilliant filtering system or can empty it as they will poop in the water and cause algae to grow like crazy as their poop contains a lot of ammonia and nitrogen. They will also eat all your pond plants, fish, frogs, tadpoles, etc if left unattended.

I note you say you are trying to be part of their flock. Ducks are bound to be flighty and nervous, as this is how they naturally avoid being eaten by predators. I understand that they have fewer centuries of domestication than chickens. If you want tips on taming them, see http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=65100.0 for my epic on peas!

xx
Mother Hen

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 16:15
by joyfull
xx
Mother hen still with chicks

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:07
by bantam novice
xx
Unfit mother!!!!!!

Started by spaulaj on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 21:15
by Aunt Sally
xx
mother hen is itchy!

Started by Ched on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 14:28
by Foxy

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 37 queries.