Broad Beans bad crop

• 6 Replies

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
Broad Beans bad crop
« on: July 11, 2007, 23:11 »
Hi, My broad bean crop is not good at all.  I am pretty new to all this vegetable growing and this is the first time I have sown broad beans.  In my book it says they are very easy and that you will get a big crop.  I wondered if I could have some kind of disease or fungas as a lot of the flowers and bean pods seemed to be slightly black?  How are other peoples broad beans and any idea what I could have done wrong.  I love broad beans and was very excited at the prospect of having some from my own garden :(
thanks in advance to any replies
Juliet
A flower cannot blossom without sunshine nor a garden without love

Spon

Broad Bean Bad Crop
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 08:57 »
All vegetable growers have been disappointed at some time, julietmaria, so welcome to the club!
You may find some of the explanation for your poor crop in the answers being posted to Sheena's 'Rusty Broad Bean Plant' questions.
Like you, I love broad beans and always look forward to the first feed of the year. I have seldom had much success with autumn sowings so I planted some 'The Sutton' on 28th January this year, followed by some 'Bunyards Exhibition' on 11th March. Both varieties were hit by blackfly and I was slower dealing with these pests on 'The Sutton' than on the 'BE'.
Although 'TS' is a dwarf variety, I have had good crops in past years. This year, however, the crop is poor. The crop now being harvested from the 'BE' is much better - but still nowhere near as good as in the last few years.
Don't give up, julietmaria, it may be that this year is just a poor year! My advice would be to try a couple of varieties next year.

milkman

Broad Beans bad crop
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 09:10 »
Yup don't give up - I've had plot holders on my site commenting at what a poor year it's been for broad beans.  

My spring crop was decimated with black fly, fortunately I'd already had a reasonable harvest from the overwintered crop so have still got some beans in the freezer to keep OH happy - it's his fav veg.

I've found that it is worth sowing broad beans in late autumn using a variety like Super Aquadulce - keep them protected in particular from the wind over the winter (I cover mine in viromesh which filters the wind wonderfully but lets the rain through).  In the spring when you uncover them, the plants very quickly start looking decidedly chewd and ropey to the point where you think you might as well dig 'em all out and start again, but gradually they recover and grow into sturdy enough plants to produce a good early crop of beans and they aren't as susceptible to the ravages of black fly.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Broad Beans bad crop
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 09:32 »
Think this year is a bad one, everyone losing crops to moulds etc, my suttons so far do look good and taste good  :D  but my climbing and bolittis are struggling.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Annie

Broad Beans bad crop
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 10:30 »
We`ve not done too wellwith broard beans this year which I`ve put down to lack of bees in all this wet weather.I was lucky not to get blackfly but they are showing signs of choclate spot,the bigger beans will be OK but the little ones I will probably loose.So from 2 packets of seeds may only get a few meals,not enough for the freezers this year.OK so 1 packet sown later was dug up and devoured by something,we think sqirrils since 5 healthy bean plante have sprouted in the raised courgette bed!

yummy

Broad Beans bad crop
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 09:45 »
We had Sutton and BE too. We have picked enough for about 20 portions. I've no idea if that is good or not since we have never grown them before. We did forget to pinch out some of the tops though so the plants kept growing up and only the lower bean pods formed - Oops.

They are going rusty now but we have picked all the beans so it doesn't matter.

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
Broad Beans bad crop
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 14:35 »
Not disappointed with my broad beans [Express] thay are wonderful,  having never grown them before i now realise that home grown taste wonderful and that next year i shall grow twice as many -  if not more.
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
xx
2nd broad bean crop?

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 22:44
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 36 queries.