Using this years shallots as sets for next year?

• 12 Replies

JohnB47

Using this years shallots as sets for next year?
« on: September 01, 2010, 11:26 »
Hi.

I grew some Jormur (or was it Longor?) shallots this year with reasonable success - no pest or disease problems, just a bit variable in size.

So, I'm wondering if I can use some of them as sets for planting next spring (or maybe this autumn as some people seem to be suggesting?).

If so, should I use the biggest ones or the smallest, or does it not matter?

Ta.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Re: Using this years shallots as sets for next year?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:43 »
I personally would use the largest ones for next year
Paul

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 17:01 »
If you have a look at the thread started by chili entitled an onion question

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=64460.0

and if I've understood it rightly, the implication is that you're better off planting the small ones, as they're less likely to bolt.

Shallot sets are surprisingly expensive. Have you considered growing them from seed? I didn't give mine the best of conditions but had a fair crop from seed. Next year I'll be starting them off using DD's method for leeks (sowing in a washing-up bowl or cat litter tray) before planting out. That should give them a better start.

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 10:38 »
Thanks.

I think I'll try using some of my banana type shallots as sets for next year and also try growing some from seed (I'm going to try onions from seed also this year as well as from sets).

Any good recommendations for shallot seeds on the Interweb?

Ta.

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 13:31 »
I grew Prisma and Banana shallots from seed bought from T&M. The Prisma are roundish and very firm. Quite a few of them split into doubles and I have even got the occasional triple. Have only tried the Banana ones so far, they pack a good punch for flavour.

In another thread, someone mentioned Seeds of Italy as a source of shallot seed, but I haven't checked them out. Marshall's used to sell Ambition shallot seeds, not sure if they still do.

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 14:03 »
I grew Prisma and Banana shallots from seed bought from T&M. The Prisma are roundish and very firm. Quite a few of them split into doubles and I have even got the occasional triple. Have only tried the Banana ones so far, they pack a good punch for flavour.

In another thread, someone mentioned Seeds of Italy as a source of shallot seed, but I haven't checked them out. Marshall's used to sell Ambition shallot seeds, not sure if they still do.

Hmmm. This poses still more questions - when you say "Quite a few of them split into doubles and I have even got the occasional triple", that's exactly what I expect a shallot to do - split! So I presume you are talking about the type that produce only one bulb from a set or a seed, yes?

I think it's really confusing when the producers call these shallots. To me they're onions but what do I know. :blush:

I'll have a look at the producers you suggest.

Thanks.

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 14:30 »
Lets get back to the question asked by JohnB47.

You can plant Jermour either Autumn or Spring.  Too early and they may perish if it is very cold or be induced to bolt. Traditional date is the longest day, 21st December but my personal opinion is that on light soils late November/early December is about right. It gives them time to get some root down without producing frost prone soft growth. Too early could also be a reason for bolting. Heavy soils I would wait until Spring.

If you are keeping your own to replant make sure that they are super-dry. It is very easy to put them in a box only to find they are mouldy when you want to plant them. This can easily happen, especially if you are waiting until Spring to plant them.

As for the size to plant. If you plant small ones you will get fewer per plant and larger. If you plant big ones you will get more but smaller, and big bulbs planted may rot more easily. My advice is to pick out some good shaped middle sized ones, pickle the small ones and use the big ones for cooking.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 14:42 »
Big = cook 'em
Small = pickle 'em
Middle = plant 'em

Got-cha!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

JohnB47

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 20:29 »
Thanks Salmo. Some very useful info there.

Snoop

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 12:07 »
On the seed front, apparently shallots grown from seed tend to grow as singles, not multiples.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 14:41 »
I'm with Salmo and Learner!

Small ones can go soft in storage due to their relative lack of bulk, large ones are a shame not to eat; medium ones are just right (and you get to hedge your bets!)  ;)

Yours sincerely,
Goldilocks  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 00:44 »
I'm with Salmo and Learner!

Small ones can go soft in storage due to their relative lack of bulk, large ones are a shame not to eat; medium ones are just right (and you get to hedge your bets!)  ;)

Yours sincerely,
Goldilocks  :lol:

"And whose eaten my seed shallots?" bellowed Little Red Riding Hood  :wacko:

Junie

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 07:44 »
My theory is tht if they are too small to bother peeling and not worth all the crying over for what I will get out, then they go for next years sets.  All of mine grew this year and I had a good crop.  I have a long type shallot, cannot remeber the name though - it was a french one I think!

xx
Last years Onion sets

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 16:45
by Goosegirl
xx
last years onion sets still in the ground

Started by rob5495 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 22:32
by rob5495
xx
shallots- my own sets

Started by mark0912 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 09:09
by Salmo
xx
shallots and onions from sets

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 12, 2007, 19:49
by Ice

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 29 queries.