Brassicas - why transplant?

• 13 Replies

someoneorother

Brassicas - why transplant?
« on: September 03, 2010, 17:04 »
Many plants CAN be transplanted if necessary, enabling you to start things off indoors and so forth. However, for brassicas (pak choi, some kales and so forth excepted) it seems to be the consensus that you HAVE to start them off then transplant them. My question is - why? What is the benefit of the transplanting, or the negative consequence of simply sowing cabbage/brocolli and letting it grow in situ? Clearly the ancestral plant didn't get dug up and moved in the wild :)

8doubles

Re: Brassicas - why transplant?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 17:17 »
Because it is easier. Brassicas need to be widely spaced , if you planted multiple seeds at each spot you wanted a plant you would cause as much root disturbance removing the extras as you do transplanting.
Plus you can transplant deeper to avoid wind rocking.
Plants in a nursery bed are also easier to nurture and protect from slugs etc.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 17:19 »
8doubles has touched on some of these points, but I'd composed this and I'm darn well going to post it!!!

Firstly, forget about the ancestral plant. That's is not what we are growing.

There are many advantages to starting them off in pots/trays/nursery beds etc., not the least of which is the amount of space you have to look after whilst the seedling is growing. I would not relish trying to keep  a space weed free that is the size of my brussels sprout bed whilst waiting for 30 seed to pop through.

Then there's the quantity of seed needed. I hedge my bets and sow 40 seed to get 30 plants, invariably I get more. Then I can plant them exactly where needed. I dread to think how many I'd have to sow in the 3 rows that are full plot widths in order to do this once thinned out.

You simply cannot pop a solitary sprout seed straight into the ground where you ultimately want a plant and hope for the best.

Enough from me, someone else can carry on.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 18:21 »
Some soils are just not very good for seed germination, so the only way to start is in bought compost. :)
Growing brassicas in seed trays and then into good sized pots allows you to grow a crop in a bed that has club root. :)
Transplanting allows me to grow a crop of early peas in the brassica bed before my winter brassicas get planted, 2 crops in 1 bed....result :)

It works ;)

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 19:08 »
Plus transplanting pretty well always causes some root damage, ranging from slight to ohmigosh levels.  When the damage occurs the vegetative rsponse is to flood various plant hormones to the damage site to trigger rapid growth of both sealant tissue (equivalent to scab on schoolboy grazed knee) and replacement root tissue.  In practice the newly sprouted repair root is very often considerably stronger than the rest of the undamaged stuff.  I understand that this is the basis for the old boy trick of leaving seedlings on the path to suffer a bit before you plant them aiming for a bizarre "treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen" effect.

This flooding of vegetative hormones to the site of damage is the basis of rooting your cuttings too.

However I reckon really the main reason we all do it is for the reasons identified in the posts above!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 19:16 »
i planted seeds in a seed bed and they failed big time or got eaten by slugs/bugs,
i planted seeds in pots of compost and planted them out 2 foot each way and im eating some of the best cabbage and broccoli i have ever tasted, so i shall be pot growing every year.

one thing though is this, do farmers go around transplanting?
first year grower

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 19:22 »
Yes, but in a mechanised manner. It's plants they put in the fields for cabbage, caulis etc., not seed.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 21:40 »
i took advice from here about the root system:

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_january_1a_brussels.asp

i just assumed this was the main reason.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 21:46 »
Nice to know that gardenaction agrees that transplants have better roots  ;)

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 22:00 »
Yes, but in a mechanised manner. It's plants they put in the fields for cabbage, caulis etc., not seed.

oooooo i never knew that, i just presumed they put seed in with a drill like rape and wheat

zazen999

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 22:05 »
Plus, if you have club root then the bigger a 'clean' root ball the better.

paintedlady

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 02:50 »
and if your plot does have clubroot, then you can add lime to a planting hole rather than the entire bed  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 05:33 »
I do that.

Mostly because I always forget to lime the bed!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 05:40 »

oooooo i never knew that, i just presumed they put seed in with a drill like rape and wheat

Have a look at this:

http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/article/9923/Industrial-automation-plants-crops-at-speed.aspx

xx
Best Brassicas to transplant now...?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 01, 2012, 15:55
by madcat
xx
Beetroot - to transplant or not to transplant?

Started by hasbean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 21:40
by SkipRat
xx
Too Hot To Transplant?

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 17:05
by erainn
xx
Can I transplant ?

Started by devon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 18:17
by boldondig

Page created in 0.523 seconds with 38 queries.