choice of antibiotic

• 2 Replies

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
choice of antibiotic
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:46 »
I took my Tina back to the vets last wednesday as the swelling in her foot wasnt going down with Metacam alone so he prescribed a long course of Baytrill, 0.4mls twice a day (on abit of bread), he said to continue with the metacam aswell for pain relief, 4 days on it now and the limping isnt so bad.   Shes taking them no problem. I did ask about baytril cause ive heard some things about baytril doing something to the gut but please correct me if im wrong, i asked about Tylan, but the vet said that baytril was his first choice in tinas case, if i had any worries about her not eating etc then he would change to something else.  I was just wondering what your first choice of antibiotics would be if you had to treat one of your chooks and why.  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: choice of antibiotic
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:46 »
I have several ab's here Nicky, Aureomycin (my vets first choice for myco) which if it is a bad case can be given alongside denegard (both are water soluble), denegard can also be given on it's own and tylan. I have never been prescribed baytril by my vets but a lot of people swear by it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

Re: choice of antibiotic
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 13:59 »
Hi Nicky
My vet prescribes Baytril and it has worked a treat each time.  If in doubt, give them some probiotic yoghurt or some Avipro plus.  I gave my girls some Avipro when I thought they had slighly mucky poos.  I think the problem turned out to be ACV which I was putting in their water all the time.  I have since stopped doing that.  Anyway, Baytril is also an AB that the agricultural college where my sister works gives to their hens.  Don't know about egg withdrawal as mine had it before they started laying. 
Good to hear Tina is on the mend :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

xx
antibiotic

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 18:39
by Tony H
xx
Ugh! Ate antibiotic egg!

Started by linzechris on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 22:08
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Which antibiotic :)

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 06:00
by joyfull
question
Which antibiotic?

Started by Kazoo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 27, 2013, 09:59
by joyfull

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 29 queries.