sickly sweetcorn

• 9 Replies

shedgirl

sickly sweetcorn
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:54 »
This year's sweetcorn in 2 seperate beds is pale, yellowy and short, very sickly looking. It's our 3rd year growing it, the others have been fine. Any ideas what might be the problem? Thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: sickly sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:29 »
Did you feed them when they were planted and since then?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

shedgirl

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 18:12 »
Saw them today, most cobs had been pulled offf plants and eaten, few that are left are tiny, only half fill the wrapping. We fed them with diluted fertiliser from our wormery, do you think it may have been the wrong stuff to use? Both adjoining plots have very healthy crops this year, so it must be something just wrong with ours.
 Thanks for the advice so far,

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 19:25 »
I don't think wormery liquid is the wrong thing to use, but it may be that addition of manure or chicken poo etc when planting would help.

They are very hungry and thirsty plants, so adding organic matter will help retain water.  It's been such a dry year that they may have gone thirsty.

If only some of the kernels appear to be growing, that's a pollination issue.

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 00:51 »
my corn this year is a disgrace
I am ashamed of them
I thik it was the sever lack of water in the early stages as I did nothing different to previous years
they are about 12" tall  but now flowering - so we will have a cob on each plant which will probably cause the plants to topple - disaster!
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 08:33 »
I opened up a promising cob yesterday and it was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.
Inside were about 8 grey prisms, it didn't resemble corn at all. There were also a few earwigs inside which i always seem to battle with.
Anyone else seen anything like it? My first thought was chemical contamination but although it's been a poor yield, the 2 other cobs I picked look normal.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 16:12 »
Mine are rubbish this year too. Although they had manure dug in before planting, they are weak and spindly. I can't believe I will have to wait a WHOLE YEAR for proper sweetcorn - and I planted about 12of them - shame! >:(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 17:02 »
i planted 3 batches, all at different times.

the early planted ones have been fantastic! (sorry :happy:), but my later batches have been as bad as you guys are reporting.

considering my early ones were severely neglected through lack of watering, i have had 2 massive cobs per plant....YUMMY.  although yesterday i had to harvest all of the remaining cobs at once (about 40), as something decided to start eating them before me :mad:

next year i will start them all early, as this is the only difference between the 3 crops.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 18:11 »
well my patch of corn has been the best yet.....
well over 6ft tall and 2/3+ per plant......

I manured the ground well very early in the year, top dressed with calcified sea weed and planted "Supersweet" from Unwins and started them off in 4" pots in the greenhouse early May and planted out in when they where about 12/18" high......

Watered well, 8 gallons everyday when it was dry.....

I have harvested and eaten some already, absolutely fabulously sweet and tender.... yum
Death OR Cake ???

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 20:24 »
Ours have been really good..(T/M supersweet)....lots of manure in early spring and water all summer, OH went today and said wasps were chewing away at some...one cob was covered she said!

xx
Sickly looking garlic

Started by Jeff Glanrhyd on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 01:39
by Paul Plots
xx
sickly looking blueberrys

Started by jakes-old-man on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 09:27
by JayG
xx
sickly aubergines

Started by Deano27 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 18:07
by Deano27
sad
Sickly beans and peas

Started by Greenfeet on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 09:09
by bigben

Page created in 0.612 seconds with 28 queries.