HELP PLEASE

• 15 Replies

Honey bird

HELP PLEASE
« on: August 27, 2010, 21:21 »
Can anyone help me please, i think my flock something realy bad. All birds old and young are very flemy, blocked nose and wheezing, there very hot, sneezing, coughing not well at all. I bought in 3 table birds about 3 weeks ago and sinse then my hole flock has gone down with this illness infact 1 of the table birds died. Iv started treating them with baitril and puting a tonic in the water, but there so hot tonight iv left coop open so they have some cool air. Is there anything else i can do and am i doing thr right things? please help had bird for 6 years an this  is the first time anything bad happend. dont knoe what to do
I LOVE MY CHICKENS

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 21:40 »
You need to give the antibiotics time to work. When did you start giving them it? Did you not quarrenteen the new birds? Really meat birds should be raised separate from egg layers. Hopefully yours will recover but it does sound like you have introduced a respiritory infection  :(.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Honey bird

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 21:51 »
Hi thanks for your reply, i started treating them all tonight but treated about six last week, only for 2 days though. thought id sorted it but it seens to have come back with avengenance. No i didnt quarantine (STUPID blooming WOMAN I AM). Im deverstated to think what iv done an will never put new birds with my old girls again, feel so helpless.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 22:03 »
I think all the antibiotics have a 5-7 day treatment plan, so probably 2 days last week wasn't enough.  It really looks like the meat birds have something nasty, or at least are carrying it. 

I'd remove the meat birds quickly and keep them separate.  Hopefully your other girls will recover.  The meat birds are bred to do nothing but eat, so they will also be depriving your layers of food!

Good luck!

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 22:08 »
You can give then antibiotics for ten days just to be sure, but like Grannie says separate them straight away, meat birds just sit, eat and pooh so will hog all the feeders.

Honey bird

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 22:10 »
I think the same Granny, ill seperate first thing in the morning and keep treating them all for 7 days and keep my fingers, toes an everything else crossed. Thank you so much for your help, cant belive how stupid iv been.
Iv always taken great care not to bring anything into my garden. These birds  looked so healthy and the man had the chat, but never again, keep to who i knowin the future

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 22:22 »
I would definately agree with the 7 day course of the AB. Even if they seem well after day 4 or 5, do keep them up as there will still be residue infection.
I would also thoroughly clean/disentfect the coop as well once you have seperated them.

Don't be hard on yourself - everyday is a learning curve and some of the biggest lessons learnt are the hard way, which I am sorry to say.

Good luck Florence Nightingale! 
Alan

Honey bird

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 22:25 »
Thanks joyful i will seperate first thing

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 22:27 »
We all do silly things at times that we regret.  I've been keeping poultry on and off for 15 years with OH, but I still make mistakes!

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 22:32 »
nobody is infallible - just so long as we learn along the way.

Honey bird

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 22:34 »
Thanks Alan ill do that i have jays fluid,  give it a good scrub.
Yes Granny i know, but i know about quarentine and didnt do it this time and it looks like my poor birds will have to pay, i could kick my self. All i can do is hope for the best and do all that you good folk have said.

Thank you all so much,  keep your fingers crossed for my birds, ill let you know how they get on  :(

Jeanette

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 13:19 »
Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

bantam novice

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 17:18 »
Good Luck from me too  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

evie2

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 20:43 »
Really don't be hard on yourself, we live and learn :)  I'm asking for help tonight too.

I would say though always complete a coarse of any prescribed medication (human or animal) particularly antibiotics because if you stop and start them, they will eventually not work.

Looks like you have a plan for tomorrow, good luck and let us know how it goes :)

May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 20:56 »
I did the same thing as you last month but introduced new chicks i had brought into chicks i have hatched and eneded up with e coli, so dont worry it is nt you alone that does daft things. the vet recommended virkon for cleaning after an infection as this was the disinfectant used in foot and month , it is really good, i clean everythin g in it as rountine.
hope yours are getting better

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 29 queries.