New owner getting henhouse ready - need help on roofing please

• 8 Replies

Happy-Hound

Hi there, I am waiting for my hen house to be delivered but we have bought one with a damaged roof.  I have been reading that felt roofs are not ideal so I was wondering what else to use.  The coop is raised off the ground and opens into a run.  The whole roof covers the sleeping and run area continuously and the roof is an apex design 9ft long.  I have been down to my local B&Q and had a look at the shed roofing on offer and wondered if it is safe to use Bituminous Coroline?  I have seen Onduline recommended and is that the brand name for what I've been looing at?  Also, is it OK to fix those sheets to the gables without any other covering at all?  As it's corrugated that will mean that there are small spaces all the way round the top of the sleeping area where the roofing doesn't continuously meet the wood.  Is that good for ventilation or bad because it will be draughty, does that matter if it's over the chickens' heads?  Also does anyone know what you put on the top of the apex where the sheets meets so that the water doesn't get in beween the sheets, are there special section you can buy?  Hope someone can help, many thanks.  Wendy  P.S. Also great would be some tips on what is essential to buy for my chickens to begin with, I plan to have 3, a Blue Marans, a Light Sussex and a Rhode Island Light Sussex Cross.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New owner getting henhouse ready - need help on roofing please
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:52 »
onduline and coroline are the same - just different manufacturers. You can but edging bits to fit the ends but most people use wire mesh either cut to shape of scrunched up - this prevents rodents getting in but allows for ventilation. Good move that in buying a coup without a roof - hopefully saved yourself a fair bit  :)
You will need a feeder, drinker bedding - dust extracted shavings or a horse bedding such as easybed, hemcore or arboise, purple spray to disguise and redness when they fight, food, mixed corn as an evening treat, poultry grit, oyster shell, wormer - the usual one is flubenvet, and a chair to sit on and watch them. Oh don't forget a camera so you can post photos of them on here  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 11:03 »
Hello H H
welcome to the forum  :).  Don't need to add anything to Joyfull's advice; just wanted to say good luck!  Keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

evie2

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 11:40 »
Hello HH, welcome to the mad house :lol: :lol: :lol: lots of pics and daily updates required :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Happy-Hound

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 11:58 »
Hi there, thanks for your replies.  Can you tell me what's the best way to try & pro-actively avoid the red mites....is there a regime anyone follows that seems to work such as dusting or spraying the chooks and bedding/coop at certain intervals or cleaning the whole thing out once a week or something.  Is there a product that seems to work best?  Sorry, there will be lots of questions forthcoming!!!   Also could someone explain how to post a photo please?  Hopefully the coop with damaged roof will turn out to be a bargain it was a couple of hundred quid including delivery and is tall enough to walk into, will post some pics of it and it's new occupants when we are up and running and I find out how to do it.  I would love to have them walking around loose but we have a German Wirehaired Pointer who is partial to killing and eating anything that moves in our garden except for out ancient westie!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 13:58 »
As its an apex roof, you can get ridge tiles made of the same sort of stuff as the coroline/onduline, but they are not the cheapest things, about £7 a piece I think, and they are the same length as the width of the corolinewhich is about 950mm I think. I'm lucky, the coops I have with onduline roofs are pent not apex.

Actually these ones are a bit cheaper!

http://www.rooftrader.co.uk/roof-sheeting/coroline-roof-sheets.html

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 14:04 »
another thing you need to get is a vet that will treat chickens. Ring around all the vets in your area to check who is used to them  :)

Happy-Hound

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 14:51 »
That's great thanks for the roofing link and also the vet suggestion.  There is a smallholding across the road so I will ask them which vet they use as they have chickens, geese and guinea fowl.  Never even thought to ask them actually and their daughter is a vetinary nurse so that could be handy. 

What is the most suitable thing to put on the run floor, I had thought bark but is there anything better?  They will have a permanent coop on earth so that they can dig.  Any suggestions gratefully received.  Wendy

Fisherman

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 06:04 »
Many on here use Easibed on the run floor as its said to be better than bark chippings. I haven't tried it yet but intend to over the winter. It can generally be bought from horse feed suppliers.

xx
Run roofing

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 15:09
by Jeanette
xx
roofing a run

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 14:14
by upert
xx
roofing and ventilation

Started by emu on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 17:27
by emu
xx
A roofing question???

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 01:02
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 38 queries.