New to chicken keeping

• 20 Replies

JMF

New to chicken keeping
« on: August 22, 2010, 08:52 »
Help please - new to chicken keeping have five sussex chickens approx 20 weeks in a lovely framebow coop - but we have noticed at night that they do not go on roosting bars but prefer to sleep on the floor of the coop right in the corner - is this ok definitely no red mite as we have checked any help appreciated.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: New to chicken keeping
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:57 »
I wouldnt panic over it some chooks decide they prefer the floor!

What you can do is go into the coop after dark when the girls have settled and pop them on the perch.  After a feew days of this they should get the hang of it!

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:30 »
I wouldn't worry - mine are still at that stage and also trying to sleep in the nest box. Whenever I go in there at night now, I put them on the perch, but I am sure they get back off. Instinctively, they are perching birds, so I think they will with a little extra coaching. But definately nothing to stress about.

My theory is - as long as they are safe, healthy and comfy, does it really matter?   :D
Alan

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 10:15 »
Mine were doing this aswell, prefering the nest boxes so we blocked off the nest boxes at night and they went straight up onto the perch, make sure though that the perches arnt too high.   Ones of ours wouldnt jump up so we lowered it and she popped straight up.   Nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

evie2

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 12:57 »
Our chooks all started off on the coop floor now Tallulah, Star and Queenie perch, Tinker sleeps in the nesting box and Georgie on the coop floor, they're all quite happy and no problem :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 21:41 »
Checked mine tonight and all huddled in the corner and the perch spotlessly clean and empty  8) 8)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 21:43 »
One of mine ended up with an eye infection from not roosting - some muck ended up in her eye  :(. So really please do try to get them all roosting if you can.
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 01:24 »
One of mine ended up with an eye infection from not roosting - some muck ended up in her eye  :(. So really please do try to get them all roosting if you can.

Yes I agree with Joy here chx huddling on a soiled floor isn't a sanitary arrangement and they risk brest blister as well as other problems such as Joy suggests as well as breathing more dust.

Birds will perch naturally but the house design has to be right and offer them a grill of roosting bars with no under perch access and minimum floor space.  Nestboxes can be shuttered and some houses have this included as standard.  After training them for a few weeks they learn to roost on the roosting bars.  Single pole roosts are for caged birds only chx are social flock animals and like to huddle together on their roosts.  Single or double poles don't allow them to do this so they huddle on the floor or in the nestboxes instead.  If your house is like this consider modifying the interior.
HF
Truth through science.

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 07:40 »
HF could you please photograph the insides of one of your coups just to how people what you mean regarding the perches and block off boards - as pictures tells a thousand words  :), thanks.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 10:08 »
I have tried for over a week now to get them onto the perch. I have blocked off the nest box before sleep time and gone in at midnight to pick them up. They seem pretty much awake still and if I go back an hour later (or just before) they are back huddled on the ground again.

Any further tips? How awake should they be when I go in to perch them as they seem quite awake   ???

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 10:21 »
Mine all huddle up on one perch perfectley well since i blocked off the nest boxes.  nickyx     

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 12:30 »
HF could you please photograph the insides of one of your coups just to how people what you mean regarding the perches and block off boards - as pictures tells a thousand words  :), thanks.

OK Joy but in fact I've posted these several times already and I just thought most people will be fed up with keep seeing them but here they are again.  Note the lift off nestboxes and side walls, shuttered nestboxes, removable perches and floor channel leaving a completely flat and easily swept floor.  Also by removing the side walls you can sweep out from under the perches without the birds escaping easily.

Roosts are an important aspect in any good house design and below is some general advice on what to look out for.   Before anyone thinks about the type of house they should get they should think out in some detail the system of husbandry they will use including how they will cope with periods when they are away and maybe have a friend dropping in.  Once they are clear about this they can look for a suitably designed house.  

My houses are Forsham Lenhams which suit my method of husbandry perfectly.  My system is movable folds, arks enclosed within an electric net an alternating run system but this might not suit other's systems. There are many other houses than Lenhams with similar interior characteristics including aviary types such as Smiths sectional Buildings.  Cheap Chinese and SE Asia pre fabricated flat pack imports are produced from beautifully machined wood, obviously made on modern machinery, but the quality and guage of wood and in particular the interior design is often badly lacking.

To understand a birds requirements you have to appreciate that they would naturally roost in trees and their droppings would fall away from them through the branches so they aren't paddling about in them constantly.  They only roost at night and their primary need is for shelter and security.  A house is a substitute for a tree and should provide the shelter and securiity and sanitary roosting arrangements they need.  Predominently the base area should be roosting space.  It isn't a wendy house for chickens and since they only need to visit it to lay (assuming their nestboxes are in it) and roost (during the hours of darkness) it should be designed exclusively for these needs.  

If you find you need to poo pick regularly then it's a sign the design isn't right.  I clean out in summer once every 3 or four weeks and only top up the top layer of shavings in between as they get soiled.  The roosts stay clean as I paint them with Diatom slurry which prevents the worst fouling and helps to dry the droppings so they fall through.  In fact I often just sweep out and scrap off the perches and don't wash if there's no hardened on droppings.  A disinfectant spray leaves the diatom intact and only ocassional reapplication is needed.

Living areas and dining areas are not required in houses and chx should spend most of the day light out in the run foraging. Their run should provide shelter from wind and rain and for the feeder to keep it dry.

A time proven way to design roosts is to provide a grid of roosting bars with a dropping space underneath to which there is no access for the birds and so they can't pick in them or walk on a soiled floor.  The other requirement is that it is easy to clean and manage for you. Flat floors which can be swept out with no litter traps and plenty of access with removable walls perches etc is ideal as well as external access for egg collection.  Personally I hate slide out dropping boards which invariably get over loaded and scrape off their contents into the house when you remove them.  They are weak and flimsy and difficult to tip in a barrow without spilling when loaded with dropping and prone to give you a face full of dirty litter in windy conditions.  better to have an easily swept area,  See the phots.

A good design also includes a vertical dropping pophole of the appropriate size and above head height baffled ventilation and strong heavy guage treated timber. A vertical trap door pophole is more versitile than a side sliding one which gets jammed with litter and droppings or a conventional hinged door which sags, develops rusty hinges and can't easily be automated.

Recently a friend proudly showed me a henhouse which she had had made cheaply by a local village handyman from pallet and packing case wood.  I had to bite my tongue and admire what I though was a bad mistake because it had just about broken every rule I could think of.  Though it was well and solidly constructed it lacked access, had lots of dirt traps had butt joined rough sawn timber cladding, fixed internal fittings which couldn't be removed for cleaning, used felt covering on the roof,  no external access for egg collection, a run which was perminently fixed to to the house with carry handles but was so heavy it required two strong men to lift and move.   More over it was a totally inappropriate design for the space she had available which was about a half acre field she could have used to allow them to free range in.  There was no need for a movable design house.  Six months latter I met up with her and she was bemoaning the warped, shrunk and split timbers which let the rain in and the difficulty of cleaning it out and getting in the run and she even volunteered that she would have been better off to have had a proper design built rather than trust the local handyman.  

Materials need to be considered too including rust proof fittings and fastenings.  External ply with few joins is good as well as tongue and groove 12mm - 15mm close fitting boards are strong too but provides homes for RM, though with a sensible approach these can be controled.  Sheet metal has no place in a chicken house as it conducts the heat away in winter and encourages condensation.  Neither is glass and windows which are a crass design feature.  A good roof material is corrugated bitumen impregnated board and onduline is my prefered make.  Good quality tongue and groove lap boards are also good for steep pitched roofs but need more maintenance.  Floors can be good quality external ply and completely flat and preferably raised at least 150mm above ground level to discourage rodents.  All wood should be treated with preservative and not painted with oil based paint.  Top grade cuprinol for longer lasting results can be applied externally only.

You've got me on my hobby horse now Joy.
HF

Forsham Lenham.jpg
perches .jpg
Internals3-t.jpg
InsideLenham2.jpg
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:43 by hillfooter »

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 12:51 »
Have to say hillfooter that it is a very nice coop indeed, i see now wot you mean about the perch design.   nickyx

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 13:12 »
Mine all huddle up on one perch perfectley well since i blocked off the nest boxes.  nickyx    

Well that's good nicky and if they still do that in winter things are fine, however they like to cram themselves together for warmth which is where single perches aren't as good as grills.

If you are wondering what the thing on the back wall is above the battery it's a car aerial motor.   The antenna moves up and down in a tube under the eaves to operate the door automatically via a cord and two pulley wheels.  Everything is designed for ease of maintenance and the needs of the chickens.  So they are let out at dawn and locked up an hour after dusk automaticaly and the net is energised while ever they are out, all automatic.  If you have access to mains power in an adjacent outhouse and are half practical you can do it easily and a lot cheaper than you can buy an auto pophole controller.  Mine controls 4 houses just the motor and pulley system is fixed to each house.  Unfortunately I still need to top up their feed, water and collect eggs manually but I'm working on it :D
HF
HF
Antenna tube.jpg
Aerial motor mounting.jpg
Pulley system on Forsham Lenham.jpg
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 13:58 by hillfooter »

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 13:41 »
After seeing the coops in real life (and HF's super pop hole and electric fence set up) I must admit I was most impressed and next year I will have to decide on whether to get two forshams or two of the large recycled coops. I don't need the auto pop holes (usually up between 5 and 6am every day) and mine all free range everywhere.  :)

xx
For Anyone Thinking of Starting Out Chicken Keeping

Started by Fisherman on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 10:59
by ANHBUC
xx
BBC Radio 4 feature on chicken keeping

Started by Sally BBC on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 17:03
by Sally BBC
xx
Hen keeping - Day 1!

Started by SimonS on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post November 21, 2013, 16:37
by pepsi100
xx
Hello everyone! New to hen keeping!!

Started by Caramelle on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 12:13
by brick22

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 38 queries.