Gape Worm?

• 5 Replies

otis pony

• Experienced Member
Gape Worm?
« on: August 17, 2010, 16:52 »
Any advice would be appreciated as I have no experience of Gape Worm and wondered whether I should be concerned about two of my girls.  They are eating and drinking and seem happy and heathly going about their business (laying every day)  but I have noticed that two of my girls stretch their necks occasionally and open their beaks wide.  Should I be concerned?.  They freerange in the afternoons but in an area that doesn't see much other wildlife, their mornings are spent in a pen with a bark floor.  I replace the bark once a fortnight.  Their hen house is cleaned daily and they have a straw bed in there, straw is from a local farmer who stores his hay in an open/dutch barn.  :unsure:
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Gape Worm?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 17:42 »
When was they last wormed? If you use flubenvet 2 or 3 times a year this will remove gape worms as well as other types.
Staffies are softer than you think.

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 19:06 »
Will do them this week to be sure

febee

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 14:55 »
Hi  we bought 4 POL hens back in April, all started to lay except one who started acting in the same way ...  we had doubts that it was even a hen!! my other half thought we had a cockrel because of the noise it made but after looking on the internet it looked like she had the symtoms of Gape Worm so I bought some wormer and she is fine now and also laying.   
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 15:02 by febee »

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 15:22 »
Hens also stretch their necks and gape when they move food from the crop to the stomach.
I think with gapeworm the beak is open most of the time not just occasionally because the hens airways are partly blocked.

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 15:23 »
Although mine have been wormed with Flubenvet they do occasionally gape especially after free ranging eating slugs and snails. I guess it must be the slime tickling their throats. I would worm them just to be on the safe side and every 4 months or so afterwards.

xx
Gape worm?

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 16:23
by ANHBUC
xx
Gape worm hell....

Started by Piglit's Pullets on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 16:41
by Aunt Sally
xx
Gape Worm problems

Started by jacquil58 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 09:45
by pepsi100
question
Gaping but can't be gape worm

Started by neil9797 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 18, 2016, 09:51
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 29 queries.