coop floor!

• 2 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
coop floor!
« on: August 22, 2010, 16:44 »
i really dont know what to put on the floor of my coop and in nest box's, i have not got my chooks yet but have finished the coop and am hoping to complete the run next week and want to put things in place ready! im abit confused as there are so many options available and i have heard many people singing some praises and warning off others but many contradict each other!  :wacko:  what do you use and why?

tollesburyjane

Re: coop floor!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 17:11 »
Hi
What you use as bedding depends on where you want to put it when is used.  I use hemp bedding as it rots down quickly in the compost heap as oppose to wood chippings that are slow to decompose.
Hope this helps

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: coop floor!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 17:18 »
hiya,  for my nest boxes (i only have 2) i use Carefresh, you can get it out of most pet shops,  straw is not a good idea as its not absorbent,  hemcore and dust free shavings seem to be very popular.  I block my nest boxes off at night as the girl much prefer to sleep in them, so on the main bit of the coop floor under the perching bar i put down a few layers of newspaper,  far easier then in the morning to take out the newspaper throw away and then i replace.   Once or twice a week then i completey empty the nestboxes,  and give the whole coop a thorough cleaning with a good disinfectant, when dry i spray everywhere with poultry shiled,   i also use a diatom slurry in the coop aswell mainly around the nest box and the perching bar.   Its great in the summer as when i clean out the coop gets to dry out properly, not so good in the winter but that is when i will use Stalson F, havnt used it yet but i read in a poultry magazine that its a must for winter on the coop floor.   Bet your really excited about getting some ladies, wot are you getting.   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

xx
coop floor

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 22:35
by muntjac
xx
Coop Floor

Started by poppysmate on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 22:11
by poppysmate
xx
white flakes on coop floor

Started by warbz69 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 10:00
by warbz69
xx
Run Floor

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 14:46
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 27 queries.