Gape worm hell....

• 17 Replies

Piglit's Pullets

• www.pamperedchef.com
Gape worm hell....
« on: June 30, 2008, 21:03 »
Help!!  My chickens seem to have Gape quite badly.  :shock:  I put them on Verm-X last week for 3 days as recomended and they seemed better for a day, then it was back to the gurgles, sneezing, 'gaping' and one snotty nostril.

I have just ordered some Flubenvet and wondered how long I should wait before I give them a dose of this new wormer??  Last Verm-X dose was on the 26th June.  I was feeding it to them on soaked bread for easy eating.  Would it be recommened to give them a bit of live yoghurt to sort them out a bit??  

My two hens are in a large run and are allowed the run of 3/4acre for two hours every night... so who knows what delights they consume during the buffet supper.  They are very skinny now, under all the feathers.  Still eating, still nosy, and the poop is firm but quite small and a bit thin.  Oh yeah... and the eggs are still coming daily.  Any ideas on how to beef them up a little would be appreciated, very much so.

Thanks for reading and the Ginga Sisters are licking their beaks in hope of what I might be advised to feed them. :lol:

Phew, I am done now.

Cheers, a new 'mother' hen  :D
" Staying In is the new going out " You are only steps away from hosting your very own Pampered Chef party with moi... go on, see what all the buzz is about!

Kate and her Ducks

Gape worm hell....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 21:14 »
I'm no expert but I would give them the flubenvet ASAP!!!! Gape worm can choke them and Verm X does not kill worms, it acts as a preventative measure apparently (I discovered this after using it for a year :oops: ). It won't interact or cause any problems using the 2 close together but the consequences of not treating the gape worm sounds pretty grim  :evil:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Gape worm hell....
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 21:19 »
Who told you to give them verm-x for gapeworm  :shock:  :evil:

I keep telling people that IMHO Verm-x will not treat gape worm.

Give them the  flubenvet as soon as you receive it Gape worm can kill quite quickly  :!:

Read through the worms article in our Poultry information section for how to dose them  :D

Piglit's Pullets

• www.pamperedchef.com
Gape worm hell....
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 21:21 »
Thanks Kate, That is just typical!!!  I bought that stuff after the poultry lady at the Aggie supply shop told me it was specially for things like Gape... and I know that they don't sell Flubenvet there.  I guess I will leg it down the lane to see if any neighbours have some as mine is coming in the post, pretty rural round here.  I'd better get my skates on....

Piglit's Pullets

• www.pamperedchef.com
Gape worm hell....
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 21:29 »
Thanks Auntie... read that forum and that is where I found the Flubenvet link.  The lady that told me was at my local CWG shop... she deals with the poultry matters.  Obviously not very well. :x  

I am off to see a chicken bloke down the lane now on the chance he might have some.  Does make me wonder if all those crows that have been hanging around are the culprits ??  

Thanks again.....

any advice on body building material would be great... once they are sorted out....  I'd love them to be fat, old and happy.  :D

Kate and her Ducks

Gape worm hell....
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 21:32 »
Shame you don't live near me, I've just bought a tub that is going to last me years! Not too expensive but you always know that you won't finish it before the use by date however long when you've only got 6 ducks and I love minimising big companies profits and our savings  :wink:

Not sure of the wisdom of sending unlabelled packets of white powder through the post - technically it would be drug trafficking  :lol: . I suppose if its for "personal use" we might just get a caution. I'm game if you are  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Seriously would order it online asap.

poultrygeist

Gape worm hell....
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 21:33 »
Would it be easier for them to eat mash ? Got all the additives but can still be swallowed straight down.

Whereabouts are you ?

If you can't get any but you can get to Boston we have lots of flubenvet.

Rob  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Gape worm hell....
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 21:34 »
Happy, healthy chooks will eat all day long so just give layers pellets ad lib, loads of fresh greens and a few nice treats in the afternoons  :D

Piglit's Pullets

• www.pamperedchef.com
Gape worm hell....
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 22:02 »
DRUGS... I have drugs!!!!  :tongue2:

Typical, the chickens have now entered the sunset coma so I will set my alarm to get up VERY early to dose them up... hopefully everything will be okay.

Keep you posted....

and thanks for the offer of wormer smuggling Kate, that did make me laugh!!  :lol:  No problem with that out here, as we call it NFN ( Normal For Norfolk )  :)

poultrygeist

Gape worm hell....
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 22:06 »
:lol:

Be careful with the dosage. It is a VERY small amount. Aunt Sally has all the answers !!  :)

Good luck.

Rob  8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Gape worm hell....
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 22:09 »
There's god news on the horizon though.  The manufacturers are going to launch a formulation for back garden chickens in small packs.  

We're on the list to get the information as soon as they have a launch date.

Kate and her Ducks

Gape worm hell....
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 22:10 »
I mixed mine with their feed and that seemed to have done them well.

Don't know about NFN but where I trained it was NFI (normal for Ilkiston). If things weren't too bad then NBFI (Not Bad For Ilkiston). Got to mourn the death of inappropriate acronyms, they made life a lot easier.

Piglit's Pullets

• www.pamperedchef.com
Gape worm hell....
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 10:17 »
HURRAH !!...  the girls were medicated just after the crack of dawn and nearly pecked me too death to get at it.  This morning I didn't even mind when they pecked at my toenails.... which must look like strawberries when your brain is the size of a pea  :lol: .

Fingers crossed that all will be well in the end.

Thanks for the good advice and moral support everyone.  It is always appreciated.  :D

poultrygeist

Gape worm hell....
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 10:24 »
Good news Piglit. Another 6 days to go.  :)

Whatever happens, don't paint your toenails green.  :shock:

Rob  8)

Foxy

Gape worm hell....
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 10:27 »
Quote from: "Piglit's Pullets"
HURRAH !!...  the girls were medicated just after the crack of dawn and nearly pecked me too death to get at it.  This morning I didn't even mind when they pecked at my toenails.... which must look like strawberries when your brain is the size of a pea  :lol: .

Fingers crossed that all will be well in the end.

Thanks for the good advice and moral support everyone.  It is always appreciated.  :D

Chickens are brighter than you think :wink: I doubt that they under any illusion that your toes resemble strawberries, I expect they know  full well they belong to you and find it amusing to see you hop around -probably wondering how long will it be before you cover them up!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Probably got a sweepstake going on how long it will take the  daft human to put sensible shoes on!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
Gape worm?

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 16:23
by ANHBUC
xx
Gape Worm?

Started by otis pony on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 15:23
by Fisherman
question
Gaping but can't be gape worm

Started by neil9797 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 18, 2016, 09:51
by Flowerpower136
xx
Gape Worm problems

Started by jacquil58 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 09:45
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 36 queries.