Next stage in my chicken set up....

• 5 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Next stage in my chicken set up....
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:16 »
Righty then. The coops coming today, will be assembled by tomorrow and then i can really start getting it ready for it's new residents on Sunday.
Where would the best place for me to put it, in my garden I have longish grass with weeds in, short grass for playing on, 3 year old woodbark on plastic sheeting or just bare mud with a few weeds growing through. They can go under oak trees, or under conifers, in the open or against a fence.
They're ex-batts so wont be used to anything, so was just wondering which would be kindest on them. I know long grass is no good in case they get a compacted crop, but would grass an inch or so long be ok.
Sorry for firing all these questions at you all, bet you're sick of me by now :) xx
THe trampolines now gone!
Picture 073.jpg
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

carolbriar

Re: Next stage in my chicken set up....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:51 »
Hi Carla
I find mine like having a tree in the run so that during the very hot weather they have somewhere to sit and shelter.  Having some fencing nearby will also give them some shelter from rain and wind.  I keep scrolling down to look at the photograph but its not there!  I would need to go back into the topic but never mind.  I am sure someone with more experience will come along and make some suggestions.  Hope it all goes well for you.
Carolbriar
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:11 »
I would put it near a tree so that they can get some shelter from the sun if we get any, they could also shelter from the rain. And as said before near a fence will give shelter from the wind. Hope this helps.

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:13 »
I forgot ot say good luck and congrtulations on getting your girls on Sunday. Ex bats are great and it is lovely to watch the change in them once you get them home

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:13 »
Make sure you can reach the coop from the paving slabs even if you need to lay more, life will be less muddy.
 It is a good idea to put the coop where it gets the winter sun. I was also going to say they will happily scratch about under the trampoline when it`s raining but it has gone so i won`t. :)

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 13:42 »
Hi Carla,

Has your coop arrived yet? My personal opinion would be to put it close to the tree and a fence for the shelter form wintry weather and the scorching sun in the summer, but it does depend where the sun rises/falls etc. Also consider placing it where it works for you in terms of accessibility in the mornings, evenings, bad weather etc. Mine is almost under a tree and close to a fence for those reasons.

But to be honest, place it somewhere and if it doesn't work for you or the ladies,well: you can move it and try somewhere else.

I had visions of your ladies bouncing about on the trampoline for exercise...... :D :D :D

Alan

xx
Chicks, the next stage

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 18:47
by jo40
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Ill chicken

Started by mummychick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 18:55
by jhub
xx
New chicken run

Started by loam ranger on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 19:39
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 36 queries.