Introducing 2 new Hens - Strategy advice please !

• 7 Replies

threeranger

Introducing 2 new Hens - Strategy advice please !
« on: August 13, 2010, 21:50 »
Hello,

We are looking at adding 2 more POLs to our current 2 in a weeks time. We have only had the first 2 for about a month, they are between 20-23 weeks old and have started laying. They are Light Sussex and Speckled Star, we will probably add a 17 week old Black Star and same age Warren, from the same breeder and are fully vaccinated.

If I tell you our facilities, it would be great to hear your experience/suggestions as to the best way to integrate them. (we are definitely sticking at 4 by the way !)

We have a 24ft by 8ft Walk in run, on good soil. We have a move-able wooden coop/run (approx 7ft long) within the WIR. This is where the girls currently live and would accommodate all 4, but the plan is to move them into our newly acquired second hand EGLU classic (without eglu run) as soon as poss - cleaned but not yet introduced to them.

I'm thinking 2 options at the moment:

1. For a couple of weeks, section off half the WIR for the new girls and half for the older. Give the new girls the EGLU to get used to, and leave the (only just settled) older ones in the wooden coop. Then after a fortnight let them mix and put a 'no vacancies' sign on the wooden coop - or close it off of course  ;)

2. Introduce the EGLU now as an optional second home for the current 2. Let them get used to it for a week and encourage them to use it. Then when the new 2 arrive, keep them within the wooden coop/run for a week or two whilst they settle, and ensure the older 2 are using the EGLU. Then after a week or two let them mix properly whilst closing the wooden coop a la option 1, and move in to the EGLU together.

Either way they will be able to see each other and get used to each other, without being able to get AT each other for a few weeks.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Introducing 2 new Hens - Strategy advice please !
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 22:03 »
I wouldn't personally put 4 chickens in an eglu unless they were Sablepoots!  I haven't got one, but am just about to borrow one for a couple of my little chicks when they come off heat.

threeranger

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 22:16 »
Hi Grannie,

Thanks for your thoughts, it is a bit deceptive in size from the outside, bigger than it seems inside.

We wondered if 4 would be ok, but have read postings (on other sites) about how sometimes even more than 4 will snuggle up in one eglu and leave another available eglu empty for laying. We also have a friend with a smallholding who says hers love to do the same.

Clearly chickens don't read instructions, or just like to break the rules  :)

Is there anyone out there who has had 4 in an Eglu, who can vouch for/against our plan ???

Thanks again

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 22:24 »
I did say 'personally' threeranger!  :) I have seen both Aunt Sally's Eglu and Joyfull's so I know how big they are inside. 

But of course, its your choice! 

threeranger

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 22:34 »
very much value your opinion Grannie  :) thank you

we haven't bought the new 2 yet - so we are very much open to be swayed :-)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 22:42 »
I didn't mean to sound horrible threeranger, but you'll find that a lot of us on here don't like the idea of chickens being 'cooped up'  haha, I wonder where THAT saying came from??   :lol:

I've personally seen the conditions in battery cages and many years ago decided that none of my birds would be too cooped up.  saying that, it does sometimes happen that I have a bird or 2 that have to live in a coop I don't think is big enough for them, but its only temporary until the new house can be built or acquired!

I've got a large ark that I was told would house up to 6 hens.  I had a rescued cockerel in it for some months on his own, but I felt it wasn't even big enough for him.  He had to stoop to go to bed!  He now has a pen in my breeding shed which is 6x4ft and there is only him and his little girlfriend a runt Goldline.

I'm going to use the big ark for 2 or 3 Exchequer leghorns which are bantam sized.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 22:58 »
Just my opinion - I'd leave your two existing chx where they are, section off some of your run and put the new ones in the eglu and leave them all to settle for a couple of weeks and make sure there are no illnesses. Then I'd just let them mix and see where they end up. You might be lucky and they'll all move in together in the eglu! If not you'll have given them all time to settle before you impose any more change. Good luck :)

threeranger

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 16:03 »
Thanks  Henamoured,

It could end up being a good test of Eglu vs Wooden coop.....let the chickens decide !

xx
Introducing Hens - Advice Needed!

Started by Burtie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 22:14
by babe
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
introducing new hens

Started by loam ranger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 23:11
by pushrod

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 36 queries.