Very quiet chicken

• 16 Replies

Pig Cat

Very quiet chicken
« on: August 09, 2010, 08:05 »
I let the hens out this morning (we have six) and one of them didn't want to come out of the coop and just stood in there. Normally they all rush out and start eating. I lifted her out but she just stood about not eating. She's probably fine but this hasn't happened before. Are there any signs I should look out for that may indicate a problem? If she continues like this when should I start worrying - well I'm worrying now already!! Many thanks in advance.

compostqueen

Re: Very quiet chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 08:49 »
Has she got any livlier?

Pig Cat

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:31 »
Just checked. Four hens came running as I got to near. Number five was sat in the coop being broody. The hen in question (Lou-Lou) was standing about looking plumper than usual. Maybe I'm just imaging it. I took her over to the water to see if she'd drink, but she wasn't interested. She then wandered over to the coop and went in. I wonder if this is her entering a broody phase like the other one. I've heard about hens getting egg bound and this is my main concern. If not I wonder if chickens can have 'off days' when they just don't feel great.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:19 »
Sounds like either she is starting to become broody or she may be ready to lay a soft shelled egg - this can really take it out of them. Keep an eye on her  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pig Cat

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 10:26 »
Thanks Joyfull, I am checking her every hour or so. She is now sitting in the coop so I hope it's one of your suggestions. I'll post again later with an update.

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 12:00 »
When you go to her does she fluff up her feathers to make herself look bigger if so she could be going broody.

Pig Cat

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 13:38 »
When you go to her does she fluff up her feathers to make herself look bigger if so she could be going broody.

Just been out again and she wasn't in the coop. Another hen (Henny Penny) is broody and fluffed up so luckily I have her to compare with. She was walking about slowly without much interest in the corn I just gave them. She did eat a bit, and have some water, but she just seems very lethargic. Thanks for all the responses to my question so far.

Pig Cat

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 16:23 »
Hmmm...went up just now and hen was sitting in the corner of the run. She never does that! Normally she'd run over to see if I had food. She let me stroke her and pick her up, but was pretty lifeless. Then just stood about a bit. Earlier I looked at her rear end and there appeared to be a bit of whitish discharge on the feathers. Not sure if that indicates anything.  :(

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 17:51 »
was it pooh or from a broken egg?
If you think she has had an egg break inside her then really she should see a vet who will check to see if any of the egg or shell is still inside her. She may also need antibiotics to fight off any infection.

Pig Cat

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 20:05 »
was it pooh or from a broken egg?
If you think she has had an egg break inside her then really she should see a vet who will check to see if any of the egg or shell is still inside her. She may also need antibiotics to fight off any infection.

Sorry not sure. She doesn't seem distressed, just very lethargic. She's only 7 months old so I can't think that she'd be slowing down yet! I'll keep chicken...er...checkin'.

jo1thompson

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 20:07 »
Hi sorry to hijack the post, but the symptoms are the same, so hoping you can help us both and save 2 birds with one reply, so to say.

I am the recent proud owner of 2 beautiful chickens Pepper and Ginger, fantastic girls they are and very kind to their new mum who has never had anything bigger than a cocketiel in the past.
Anyway, Pepper has laid an egg religiously everyday since she arrived a couple of weeks ago (Ginger just missed 2 days when she first arrived but has made up for it since!), Pepper missed her first egg yesterday, I wasnt overly concerned, but then this morning still no egg and she seemed a little quiet. I immediately worried about her being egg bound and did some research. One basin of warm water, a little tummy rubbing and lots of encouragement later a single egg was delivered. She seemed a little brighter straight away. Im still worried about her tho, she still isnt herself, but it has only been about an hour and a half since the 'delivery'. I tried to put her into her nest on a warmed towel, but she wasnt keen so is out in the run, she is still eating (she needed a healthy treat of mealworms after her experience). Im thinking about the 2nd egg that should have been laid, tho I cant feel any other firmness where I felt the first egg. Is it just a matter of settling herself now the egg is passed, is the 2nd one still stuck, am I over worrying or is there more I can do??
Thank you all

jo1thompson

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 21:08 »
Quick reply, just redid the warm bath and out popped a soft shelled egg!!! Little gentle blow dried bum and a new hen is back in her coop  :D
I am so relieved.
As I said in my original post, her symptoms were exactly as the OP described on her own. Perhaps giving your hen a warm bath and massage might help your girl as much as it has mine? And I do hope she feels better very soon.

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 21:11 »
Warm baths really do help - try popping her in a sink of warm water for at least half an hour then as Jo said follow with a blow dry on a warm setting until she is completely dry  :)

Pig Cat

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 13:53 »
Well all appears to be OK again with Lou-Lou! This morning, after reading Jo's posts I ran a sinkful of warm water and brought the hairdryer downstairs. I went to fetch her and she ran over as usual and was ranging around like the others. There was no sign of any strange egg about so not sure if that was the problem. Maybe she was just feeling under the weather? I'm glad this is all over now. Thanks for the good wishes.

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 18:19 »
If she laid a softee then the chances are they would have all eaten it  :)
So pleased she is ok now.

xx
Quiet breed of chicken?

Started by death of rats on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 15:28
by hillfooter
xx
quiet hen ...help please

Started by andy and deb on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 13:17
by andy and deb
xx
Help! - Very quiet hen

Started by birds in a basket on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 09:23
by birds in a basket
xx
Quiet Ducks

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 13:40
by joyfull

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 29 queries.