Minimum Run size per bird

• 4 Replies

jertzee

Minimum Run size per bird
« on: August 11, 2010, 12:16 »
I have read that the minimum run size per bird is 3 square feet, although double that is recommended.

Now, is 3 square feet "3 feet x 3 feet" or is it, "1.73 feet x 1.73 feet"?

I am looking at a coop and run - the coop can hold 6 hens and I am looking at 3 or 4 to keep.

The run area of the coop and run I am looking to buy is 6 feet by 3 feet (slightly larger but I am trying to keep this simple), ie in total 18 square feet. Does this mean the max amount of birds I should keep is 6 (ie 18 divided by 3)?

Should I take off any area where foold may be kept or the ladder is up to the coop?

Thanks for any comments.

Casey76

Re: Minimum Run size per bird
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:22 »
Minimum run size (as per DEFRA) is 1m2/1yd2 per bird.  That is 9sq feet - 3ft x 3ft.

If the birds are going to be in the run permanently, 2 or 3m2 per bird is preferred to prevent stereotypical / boredom behaviour like feather plucking.

In addition to this you will need space for feeders and drinkers (at least 2 of each so that if there is one bully bird she can't stop the others from feeding and drinking), a dust bath, something to perch on (preferably different heights), and a couple of hiding places.

It is much easier to maintain the run if you can stand up in it without bending :)  there is nothing worse than scratting around on your knees in the middle of winter when it's blowing a gale and the rain is coming at you from all sides!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 12:24 »
the minimum is 1 square yard per bird ( or 1 square metre per bird) so your run of 6 feet by 3 feet is only 2 square yards and therefor only big enough for 2 hens (and this is the minimum space they need). By the time they have their feeder, drinker, dust bathing area etc then there is little space left for them to scratch around etc.
Staffies are softer than you think.

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 15:35 »
I have three hens which stay in a run 6' by 4' (attached to henhouse) until lunchtime when they roam free until they put themselves to bed.  I am breaking any laws? Am i being unfair to my chooks?
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 15:59 »
IM having 5 birds in a 10 hen coop and the run will be 12ft x 3ft, has a large, many branched log in it, hanging vege feeders and wall mounted pellet feeders and drinkers to leave more floor space. I'm going to move it round my garden fortnightly though, so they constantly have new terrain to scratch at. I'm thinking, providing I keep changing the things for them to do, scatter bird seed on the ground they've already dug up, so it has new growth by the time they're back at that spot, they'll be happy??? Its a tricky one isnt it, just beacuse they can live in a small area, doesnt mean they should, but how much space is more than enough? Hopefully they can go free range once my labrador pup calms down!!
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

wireless
hen run minimum spacing.

Started by gowing238 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 25, 2011, 09:25
by ANHBUC
xx
minimum perch head height

Started by slurp on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 20:18
by slurp
xx
Large shed. How many hens minimum could I have?

Started by baggybernard on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 18:19
by muntjac
grin
wannabe newbys minimum time chooks to be let out of coop

Started by nuttycube on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 11, 2011, 21:57
by hardygeranium

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 37 queries.