re: walking stick cabbages. lemonpixie

• 7 Replies

sydlin

« on: July 03, 2007, 20:00 »
saw some seeds for seven foot high cabbages in wyevale garden centre so it might be worth giving them a try, also has any body grown any and are they simple to grow :?:
sydlin                                                                  everything grows to he who waits!

andyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 20:43 »
hi new to the site but i have four walking stick cabbages growing in the garden at the moment i would think they are about 2foot 6 . got the plants from my old man who some times hands the seed out round his village to get the locals to grow for the annual show, i have seen some make over six foot so it can be done, if you need any info i have a copy of the leaflet he hands out with the seeds i am sure i can scan it and send it if you would like
andy

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 21:11 »
Can you eat them  :?:

andyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 21:30 »
dont know now, but they were eaten in the past on jersey were the plant came  i think now they are grown more for a bit of fun

andyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 21:38 »
hope this helps

INTRODUCING THE WALKING STICK CABBAGE
(Brassica Oleracea Longata)
The plant is also known as Chou Cavalier, Long Jack, Tree Cabbage and Jersey Kale.
This extraordinary variety of the cabbage family, grown for the last two centuries on Jersey, reached England from France in around 1827. At the time, these cabbages were grown in most Jersey gardens and were an important part of the diet, mainly in a meatless soup consisting of plenty of cabbage leaves, lard and potatoes. Sometimes a few other vegetables were added. There is no doubt that the delicate digestive systems of today would shy away from such a menu. Besides being used for food, the leaves lined butter baskets, bread was baked on them, leaves softened in a warm oven were used to poultice a bad back, and they were also put in men's hats to keep them cool in the hot summer sun.
In addition to the stems of the plants making good walking sticks, they were used as laths in the ceilings of bams, as bean sticks and as a source of fuel. Now on Jersey, all kinds of tilings are made and sold including shoehorns, lighters, thimbles, collectors' eggs and various tools, as well as the famous walking stick. Very little is wasted of the stem or root
On the Island of Jersey, there have been reports that the cabbage walking-stick plants have reached over twenty feet in some instances, which will give you some idea of what can be attained with plenty of nourishment, care and attention, good weather and a certain amount of luck.
Growing the Walking Stick Cabbage
Each household should have found a packet of four seeds of Brassica olearacea longata - common name Walking Stick Cabbage - with your schedule. Plants can reach 2.1m (7ft) from an early spring sowing.
Great heights have been reached by these very large and vigorous plants, and while yours may not end up a record breaker, it should grow into a decent plant capable of producing a stem from which you can make a good walking stick.
Sowing Instructions
Sow seed very thinly (4in apart) into a well-prepared seed bed
1cm (Viin) deep.
Growing Instructions
When large enough to handle, transplant to final position allowing 75cm x 75cm (30in x 30in) between plants. Finn plants in well and water well until established.
Within four days of transplanting, to deter the cabbage root fly, put some powder around the roots. There are still a few brands of powder on the market that will do the job, which can be obtained at any garden shop. Alternatively, you can purchase a collar for each plant from a garden centre or make some from old carpet underlay.
When the cabbage plants have reached about ISins high, a few of the lower leaves can be removed to allow the stalk to strengthen. This process should be repeated as each foot of growth occurs.
The plants will require two or three lots of fertiliser during the early growth. As the plants grow, some growers stake them, but this is optional.
Do not forget that the plants like water.

Please see Page 19 for the Cabbage Plant Photo Competition.
This is being held so that the plants can be left to maturity. Last time we held this competition, the Autumn Show was in October. There were 27 entries. Michael Ring won then with 7ft 2in.
Harvest Time
Stems should be used from plants that have had their season growth (late Autumn).
The first job is to remove the head of the plant with a clean cut - do not break it off. The root must be left on until drying is completed. When it is removed, it can be hollowed out to make thimbles or carved into various objects.
Next, wash with a mild non-bleaching disinfectant to remove anything that may be on the stem that will cause rotting or promote blemishing.
Dry the stems thoroughly for around five weeks, after which they should be brought inside and put in a warm place to dry out completely. Turn them frequently to avoid rot; the better the air circulation, the better the result. Inspect them periodically. The whole process will take about six months.
When you are satisfied that the stems are ready, you can move to the final stage of preparation.
Smooth them using first a rough sandpaper, then medium and finish with a fine grade. Your stick will benefit by your spending time on this stage. Two coats of clear varnish or polyurethane should be applied. Rub down with fine sandpaper after the first coat, but not until it is dry. When you have finished, a knob or handle may be fitted to the top if you desire. A rubber ferrule can also be fitted to the foot of your home produced Walking Stick.

starmoonlilly

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 21:44 »
Thanks for that andyk, I think I'll have to try them next year :D
Life is for living.....permaculture is for life.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 02:22 »
Quote from: "andyk"
got the plants from my old man who some times hands the seed out round his village to get the locals to grow for the annual show,

What a guy!

Andy, that's really lovely to read. I wish there were more people like that around, encouraging others to try growing something. I'm sure he's been an inspiration to many, as well as yourself.

andyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 17:19 »
just an update got home from my hols now the tallest is about 3 foot and if i get my hands on that litle white thing its going to die as its ofspring is turning the leaves into net curtains

xx
walking stick cabbage

Started by king cauli on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2007, 21:49
by Clodagh & Dick
xx
walking stick cabbage advice

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 21:04
by DD.
xx
Wot 2 stick in now?

Started by drdave on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 21, 2007, 00:18
by drdave
xx
Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 13:13
by Oliver

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 36 queries.