sunshine

• 17 Replies

paintedlady

sunshine
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:11 »
We all need it to feel good.  Believe it or not, a lot of our plants need a darn sight more of it and they haven't seen much of it this past few weeks.  So to all those whose plants seem to be taking a rather yellow shade both outside and in the greenouse, they are actually starved of sunlight.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
sunshine
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 09:36 »
know what you mean,i have no tomatoes in greenhouse yet,plenty of flowers but no fruits :( the outdoor ones seem better though for some reason :) .i picked my first cougette from the garden yesterday as well,had it in a stirfry for tea :D

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
sunshine
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 10:35 »
i have around 60 tomatoes from four plants which im quite chuffed at as its my first time growing toms

milkman

sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 14:05 »
Yup my courgette and pumpkins are positively sulking and I reckon it's to do with the lack of sunshine and warmth.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
sunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 14:42 »
pumpkin looking a little pale ( bit like me after the night before :wink: ) but courgettes going mad, toms in greenhouse are going bonkers but wont ripen, beans looking a bit sad too.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

wellingtons

Well I'd listened to the ...
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 17:26 »
... doom merchants about global warming and bought another grape vine.  It's had enough and is about to pack up it's shoot and devil off to Spain!

I went to the Eden Project at the weekend and kinda got the urge to copy their rice growing bit.  

My plot is only about 30 feet away from a very full looking river ...  :?

crowndale

sunshine
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 18:02 »
I've had a load of strawberries despite the rain but they haven't been as sweet as I'd like, I put it down to lack of direct sunlight.  plus around a quarter are just turning to mush as it's so wet everywhere.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Annie

sunshine
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 18:19 »
My french beans seem to like the weather but my courgettes are kind of sitting there with little male and female buds all ready to go but have been like that for 3 /4 weeks now. Only one has flowered but normaly the fruit swell rapidly at this stage,just a few days of nice hot sun just to get everything moving would be nice. :cry:

paintedlady

sunshine
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 09:22 »
My peas, celery & celeriac are growing rampant in this weather, but I have noticed the butternut are clearly unhappy, and yet the pumpkin is okay.  I have 3 different varieties of courgette/marrow - the green bush are surviving and some fruit forming, but the gold rush and globe are looking sad.  My half plot consists of raised beds halfway up the hill, but even these are very soggy so I do feel sorry for those waterlogged plots at the bottom.  During a brief dry spell on Sunday when I was busy trying to catch up with some weeding (THEY are doing extremely well!) I noticed the seed heads appearing on the sweetcorn.  With this continuous wet weather, I predict a poor harvest there as well.

brucesgirl

sunshine
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 16:25 »
Well I have the best crop of blueberries I have ever had. I have one French bean, which we may have with our dinner tonight!! The rest of the French beans are growing in a curl, the tomatoes (outdoor) have flowers but no fruit yet, and the runner beans have just started to produce beans.
The strawberries have got fruit which is now in suspended animation, and everything else is shorter than the weeds.

starmoonlilly

sunshine
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 19:44 »
Carrots and parsnips are romping away, climbing french beans are growing but slowly....no sign of flowers yet. Just finished the first earlies yesterday, they did well. Will start digging the second earlies in a few days.

Sweetcorn and beans looking good, still green but very slow. Lettuce are loving this cool damp weather and not much slug damage surprisingly.

Sweet potatoes are hanging in there, one's even got one new leaf. Wrong year to have a first try of them methinks.

Strawberries are pathetic, they have fed more slugs than anything else and have gone to mush with the wet. The herbs are looking pretty sad, just not enough light or heat.

The courgettes are growing and producing cute tiny little fruit, tasty though.

Im getting ready now to put in winter cabbage, more parsnips (grown in toilet rolls) kale, swede and kohl rabi which might get there before the first frosts.

The tomatoes 'Tumbler' have loads of fruit but staying green and leaves looking pale and sickly. Would Epsom salts help with them?
Life is for living.....permaculture is for life.

digger1957

sunshine
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 21:08 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
The rest of the French beans are growing in a curl

Ours too! What causes curly beans?

Fat Hen

sunshine
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 22:12 »
Lots of cherry type toms but green, bigger toms very poor show, 3 - 4 black russians per plant.  

Kicked pink brandywines out of greenhouse as weren't doing anything, flowers just dying off without producing fruit, since then they have now a few developing toms.  

Toms/chillis & a courgette in hanging basket looking windswept with some burn around leaf edges, and lean towards the east.

Most chillis in greenhouse yet to flower, although the little birdseyes & some from a friend in Nepal are running rampant, weird!

My cucumber has about 3 leaves on it and a tiny cucumber.

Runner beans doing well lots of flowers however few insects around to pollinate so many dying off without producing beans.  

Look forward to some lovely sunshine and a drop in the bl**dy wind.

shaun

sunshine
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 22:15 »
looking at the 10 day forecast its going to get better towards the end of next week
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mushroom

sunshine
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 22:28 »
Quote from: "shaun"
looking at the 10 day forecast its going to get better towards the end of next week

Yeah I thought that 5 days ago looking at +5 days on at the GFS but it was very showery today here in the East. The jet stream is meandering all over the place at the moment, it is much more south than normal for this time of year, so storms are tracking a lot further south hence the effects we see.

Try 2-day accuracy realistically for any kind of detail.

xx
A ray of sunshine!

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 18:15
by RichardA
xx
Sunshine

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 10:47
by Celtic Eagle
xx
Sunshine F1 Squash.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2013, 11:12
by New shoot
xx
Harvesting Hunter & Sunshine Squashes

Started by anne from brittany on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 23:02
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.755 seconds with 28 queries.