beginers questions re cabbage and cauli and chilis

• 4 Replies

chili

• Experienced Member
as above i have a couple of questions that are bugging me :)
cabbages first

planted 12 stonehead easy enough now when they have matured and you eat them how do you get threw them all without loosing them to splitting etc we only have cabbage twice a week so the original 12 once matured are not going to last another 10 weeks without some form of rotting/splitting setting in.

caulis next last week i pulled my first cauli it looked ready however the boss (my mrs) said most of it was no good as it had gone rubbery and yellow. 4 days later i have another 1 ready so i have just pulled that one and its the same thing it looks ok to me but the mrs says its turning.
anyway the remainder are probably baseball size heads and looker pukka, how do shops and farms get caulis nice and big like a baby head size without them going rubbery and yellow? again i feel i am loosing them by leaving just a fraction too long.

chilis now my chilis look really nice according the tab on the 2 i can identify 1 should be red the other yellow, thing is they have been green for god knows how long now, how long should i leave them to change colour?

thanks
thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: beginers questions re cabbage and cauli and chilis
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 14:38 »
Cabbages - you have to plan, (as with a lot of veg). Stagger the sowing, use different varieties that come in at different times of the year.

Caulis - not always an easy veg. The answer lies in the soil. Needs to be firm, manure the previous year & keep them well watered. They don't like it hot.

As you've found out - don't be tempted to leave them too long before cutting. If you can see the curds, they won't grow much bigger. You have to run with what you get.

Chillies - errrr - I'm sure someone will be along who knows what they're talking about.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 15:47 »
chilis now my chilis look really nice according the tab on the 2 i can identify 1 should be red the other yellow, thing is they have been green for god knows how long now, how long should i leave them to change colour?
thanks

Till they do  ;)
You can eat them green if you want to............but patience is called for if you want them red/yellow! I know ::) I'm waiting as well  :lol:

Totty

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 15:49 »
if the chillies are meant to mature into a red/yellow then given enough time, water and feed they will change when they are ready. im sure most chillies can still be harvested whilst green, although not all the chillies chatacteristics may have had time to come through?

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 19:23 »
ah thanks for the advice

xx
beginers questions re:-tomatoes,chilis,peppers

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 22:11
by peapod
clip
Cauli/Cabbage looking sorry

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 23:31
by shoozie
xx
Cabbage and Cauli seeds

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2011, 22:37
by mumofstig
xx
Cabbage/cauli spot the difference

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 22:18
by shaun

Page created in 0.541 seconds with 38 queries.