Blackcurrants and Redcurrants

• 6 Replies

mushroom

« on: July 01, 2007, 14:57 »
On my plot, which is a wilderness, there are some redcurrant canes, and a large redcurrant bush
(see this picture of my redcurrant bush )

Given that the redcurrants are thriving, what would the prospect be for blackcurrants?
I know that they are greedier than redcurrant, but that's it.
I really like blackcurrant. I'd like to make some wine out of blackcurrant. Any success stories for blackcurrant? Yes, it's raining again.

mushroom

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 15:16 »
looks like it might get drier on the 5th:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn961.html

Bobby T

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 17:56 »
Hi  Both red and black currants on the same land are cropping well for me.Both inherited bushes.Early spring I bought 4 small b/c plants from Aldi, Woolies Wilkies and Lidl.None cost more than 1-99.Though none were named varieties all have grown on really well to my suprise.They will fruit next season on this years wood and so I may get a extended cropping.Love a bargain 4 for the price of 1 at G/center.   Bob

David.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 18:56 »
Try and find some one with blackcurrants before they prune this autumn and get the prunings to take loads of cuttings from. Although the books say open ground, I put them in deep DIY pots made from heavy duty black dpm offcuts stood up in milk/beer crates.

I got about 99% success from my prunings last year (in contrast to my daughter who sent off loads of Ribena 'coupons' for free cuttings and only one took).

diggerjoe

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:53 »
When i got my plot in late april i asked what was growing in the widerness at the far end and they told me currants and raspberries - i didn't think to much of it as that end floods quite often as its down a slope but boy do the currants like it they are so over grown the birds havn't seen them and I picked 8lbs of red and 4 lbs raspberries last friday - i suppose this will make up for the rest of the plot  being a bit of a washout - they seem to be doing ok on their own should i just leave them or cut back or what after fruiting - i don't know anthing about fruit growing :?:  :?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 08:58 »
I took loads of cuttings off our volunteer blackcurrant that we found growing out the side of the old patio when OH pruned it for me some months ago.  Quite a few look as if they've taken, PM me if you are interested in some for the cost of the postage!

mushroom

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 10:59 »
Quote from: "diggerjoe"
When i got my plot in late april i asked what was growing in the widerness at the far end and they told me currants and raspberries - i didn't think to much of it as that end floods quite often as its down a slope but boy do the currants like it they are so over grown the birds havn't seen them and I picked 8lbs of red and 4 lbs raspberries last friday

The blackberries forming the border near the wall at the end of the plot have gone positively ape this year. When I got the plot 2 weeks ago, I'd never seen so many blackberry flowers anywhere, they truly like the wet (in the NW of this country they seem to be the commonest ground cover, and it's wet, on average, there), seems also true of the redcurrant because my main redcurrant bush is thriving so well even though ivy is trying to strangle it.

xx
redcurrants and blackcurrants

Started by charley1980 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 15:23
by charley1980
xx
redcurrants

Started by bravemurphy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 00:10
by viettaclark
xx
redcurrants

Started by Livinhope on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 09:09
by Livinhope
xx
Think I have Redcurrants.

Started by Digger Tom on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 12:34
by Dilly Dom

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 28 queries.