Plastic Greenhouse

• 7 Replies

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
Plastic Greenhouse
« on: July 23, 2010, 16:41 »
I bought a 6 x 4 plastic greenhouse this year and stuffed it full of tomatoes, cucumbers, melons and peppers.  Unfortunately went on holiday for a long weekend and came back to find all the tomatoes had blight (at least I think that is what it was - mouldy leaves, brown patches on stems and tomatoes)  >:(

My question is this.  How do you manage a plastic greenhouse.  I was opening it during the day and closing it at night, but since the blight(?) problem am leaving the door open permanently for better air circulation and less humidity.  The thing is it is now quite bare in there with the tomatoes gone so with better air circulation, should I start closing the door during cooler weather (like today - I know its summer but we all know how that goes!!!)? 
I have a pair of secateurs and I'm not afraid to use them!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Plastic Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 16:56 »
With tomatoes/cues/peppers  inside my door stays open 24/7 at this time of year, I may half close it if it's a bit windy.

I only start fully closing it up at night towards the back end of summer, when the nights start getting really chilly again.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 16:58 »
Sounds more like botrytis than blight.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 17:00 »
Sounds more like botrytis than blight.

I did wonder about that, but either way, the plants were decimated and it spread sooooo quickly  :(  Thought the best thing to do was destroy them completely and keep fingers crossed it does not appear on the other veg in there.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 17:03 »
A 6x4 greenhouse is more difficult to control the heat and humidity than a bigger one. If the toms you are growing can be grown outdoors also, I would leave the door open so thwe GH gives some protection but you have a better airflow. Get a thermometer and check your temps. Use your instinct - if it gets windy (ie - the direction is blowing into your GH) or the sun is well out or if it's dull. I think your problem is more to do with mildew rather than blight but someone else on here may disagree.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 17:33 »
I've got the same greenhouse 6 x 4 and although my cues and toms are outside I do have other things in there and the door and window are open all the time at the moment.  Door about 4 inches window 2 just to keep the airflow going.

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 19:14 »
I don't hae a window on mine  :(.    If it was mildew, would it not appear on the other plants?  The toms were the only thing affected.  Did spray with Bordeaux Mixture as thought it was leaf mould, but it did not help.  fortunately am growing toms outside so at least it is not a total loss (shouldn't speak too soon, usually a death sentence in my garden  :nowink:)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 20:46 »
I've got a plastic lean-to greenhouse which doesn't get sun all day. I leave the door open all the time unless it gives strong wind (the panels blew away once, it now has more clips holding them in than the garden centre has in stock) and it has an automatic window thingy. I'm very pleased with my little greenhouse, the only problem is space, second year.

xx
Plastic Greenhouse

Started by ratherangelic on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 15:50
by shedmeister
xx
Plastic greenhouse kept out the frost!

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 14:47
by gregmcalister
xx
Plastic greenhouse protection

Started by Hazel Anne on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 20:43
by Nikkithefoot
xx
snails in the plastic greenhouse....

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 19:48
by kentishgal

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 30 queries.