Dalek compost bins

• 30 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Dalek compost bins
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 22:13 »
I must be doing something wrong :) We have a row of 6 plastic compost bins and there's never enough space to get rid of all the kitchen/garden waste/lawn mowings. When we first started filling them last year (moved the enormous old open heap into them) they did go down quickly, but in the last few months they don't seem to be moving at all. We have two different sorts as well, one bought from Wyevale constructed as a single unit, which is nice and robust, but the rest were bought from Homebase as flat pack self assembly jobs and every one of them has come apart down all the joins. They didn't even last a year before falling apart.

Babstreefern

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 22:24 »
If you are putting a lot of lawn mowings in, you need some to "separate" it, ie, mixing it up shredded paper, as lawn mowings can bulk, and is hard to "digest"
Babs

RichardA

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 14:02 »
moisture content is in my opinion more important than people realise and a lot of shredded paper etc will need wetting down either from a hose  or by leaving lids off to catch the rain. Often the biggest drop in level occurs after a good wetting and then a good warming up again.
R

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 00:37 »
I turned the hose on them yesterday, cos when I opened the hatches at the bottoms most of them did look pretty dry. How wet do they need to be? Are we talking a 30 sec spray from the hose or are we talking soaking wet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 08:48 »
I turned the hose on them yesterday, cos when I opened the hatches at the bottoms most of them did look pretty dry. How wet do they need to be? Are we talking a 30 sec spray from the hose or are we talking soaking wet?

Without trying to be facetious a 30 second spray from a hose should soak everything! It tends to go dry in places (usually at the bottom and round the edges); a good "stir" helps get more even composting.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 08:56 »
I spray mine until it just starts to seep out at the bottom on a low pressure spray.  You dont want it too wet as it will leech the nutrients out. Damp - if you see what I mean?  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

RichardA

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 16:30 »
moist evenly through the heap to help with rotting as dry material will never rot but not wet through as that excludes air and over chills the heap. Think about how quickly grass cuttings start to heat up (moist) but how hay lasts for a long time unmarked by mould etc(too dry). A good guide is a few days after moistening the heap will sink again and may feel warm to touch and even steam a little which a dry heap never does. As for stuff leaching out -- if you can move the heaps occasionally and grow something in that place such as courgettes, rhubarb etc that enjoys rich conditions if will recoup any leached goodness.
All the best
R.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 21:01 »
I hadn't realised it was so important to add moisture. I think I've got the same problem with my leaf bin too, which always looks dry. Though that doesn't have any cover on it, so I'm kind of suprised the rain isn't enough. But sadly, if I tried giving those Homebase bins even a half-hearted stir I suspect they'd collapse completely.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 08:01 »
I pee on mine each day when I close up the greenhouse - whether it needs it or not!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 08:06 »
What about whether you need it or not?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2010, 08:14 »
I use my storage tank and fill it from a bottle a few hours beforehand "be preapred"  :closedeyes:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2010, 09:03 »
I might pass on that idea -- don't want to afll off  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2010, 15:05 »
We have a few of the 'daleks' about. A few weeks ago we did quite a bit of shredding prunings, filled a large and a standard dalek, putting very wet manure in layers. today I thought I should be turning it, - pulled the large bin off to refill with the mix but- the mix was bone dry and mouldy, with mould (spores?) blowing away like smoke. I had to leave it to think what to do. (good job no neighbours) thought about spraying it with a washing up-liquid solution as a wetting agent (water runs straight off).
Any advice?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 16:18 »
Probably better not to use chemicals if you don't have to; it will wet if you do it slowly enough, preferably with a fine mist of water if available.  ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 08:34 »
The moulds may well be taking the temperature up higher than the normal compost critters will (are they bacteria? not sure) so I'm not sure they are a bad thing per se.

If the heap is not hot, but mouldy, then I reckon turning it will provide more pockets for water to collect and then it should be possible to water the new heap and have it retain enough.

xx
Slugs in compost Dalek

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 09:07
by JayG
xx
Black Dalek compost

Started by stentman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 23:00
by Dave Mack
xx
Ants are invading my dalek compost bin!

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 09:42
by HugglescoteGrower
xx
Whitefly And Dalek Type Compost Bin

Started by Plot 6B on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 22:19
by yorkiegal

Page created in 0.554 seconds with 37 queries.