rhubarb

• 5 Replies

evie2

rhubarb
« on: July 19, 2010, 17:10 »
My son found the rhubarb seeds I was keeping for next year and sowed them 2 weeks ago.  I now have about 30 seedlings that I'm not too sure what to do with.  We had rhubarb in the garden before which I managed to kill (I'm told that's not easy) so I don't want these to go the same way.

Can anyone tell me what should I do next please?  Grace
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Trillium

Re: rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 17:26 »
You'll have better luck keeping the seedlings outdoors during winter. Keep watering them until then as they'll dry out quickly in pots and die, but they should stay in pots for a bit longer. For winter, dig a trench somewhere, put the pots in up to their necks, and earth up the sides. This will avoid winter root kill, yet give the plants what they need. Come spring you can take out the ones that survived and plant them where you want them in holes with lots of manure and some blood, fish  and bone meal, and water well. Mark off the area so you don't forget. In 2-3 years you should be starting to harvest. If the weather is dry during those times. water and mulch them as they like cool feet.

evie2

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 17:39 »
Thanks Trillium, I'll do that and keep my fingers crossed and the rugby ball well away :D
Grace

Spana

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 18:04 »
 I've never seen a rhubarb seedling, what do they look like.  Are they like little baby rhubarbs :)

Dont suppose you could post a pic.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 15:25 »
I'm hopeless with technology so I'll ask 14yr old to put some pics up when she gets home from school.  They're not very exciting though they've only had 2wks growth although this humid weather has really pushed them on so potting them on is Saturdays job - if they can wait that long!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 16:50 »
They look like small ruby chard...just what you would expect of baby rhubarb.
I left mine in individual pots under the hedge and forgot about them over winter and they survived just fine :) I planted them last spring.
I gave 2 to my son and kept a few myself and I had my first few sticks this year :)

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 09:58
by mdjlucan
xx
Rhubarb help

Started by Alan lad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 21:10
by Babstreefern
xx
rhubarb

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2007, 12:13
by mum of 3

Page created in 4.402 seconds with 32 queries.