traumatised chicken urgent advice please

• 4 Replies

stickywicket

traumatised chicken urgent advice please
« on: July 19, 2010, 12:37 »
My chickens were chased by my neighbours dog yesterday evening. One of them has become very weak and seems unable to stand or do anything. I do not think she is physically injured as she was able to escape from the dog by flying over the fence of the chicken run and was walking about quite normally for about 45 mins afterwards but then she went and hid behind the coop and stayed there until eventually I had to go and pick her up and put her in the coop for the night. She fell off the perch when I tried to put her in so I just picked her up and put her in the nest box. She has been there ever since and won't eat or drink .

Should I try and syringe some water into her beak as she has not had a drink since last night and if so how much and how often?

Or should I just leave her alone and see what happens. I have left a bowl of water next to her but she doesn't seem interested.

Would be grateful for any advice you can give.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: traumatised chicken urgent advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:56 »
it sounds like she is in shock. I would place her somewhere quiet and dark, give her some water with either honey or sugar in and some tlc. Hopefully she will soon recover.
Have you found out how next doors dog got close to them?
Staffies are softer than you think.

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 13:44 »
We had this a couple of times and found that warm water with sugar and asprin dripped into the mouth with a syringe helped. The asprin was on the basis that they might have bruising or other non-puncture damage. We also brought both birds into the house where they were warm and quiet for a day or two.
In our case the culprits were dog walkers who let their animals run into our garden.

stickywicket

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 16:19 »
Thanks for the advice. She seems slightly more alert. I keep trying to get some water into her beak with the syringe though I don't want to pick her up and  force her as she is probably stresed enough as it is. She is in the nest box and is panting a little so maybe she is too hot?

The neighbours dog must have got through a hole in the fence between our gardens and then managed to jump over the electric netting into the chicken run.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:19 »
Can you place a fan somewhere just to keep the air circulating but make sure she isn't sat in a draught. I would get together with your neighbour and see if there is anyway of blocking off the dogs route through. It's not the dogs fault it was just following his/her instinct, however it was very lucky to clear the electric fencing.

xx
Traumatised chicken??

Started by Emma S on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 17:50
by Emma S
xx
Traumatised hen - advice please

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 21:36
by Honeysuckle
xx
Urgent advice needed for sick chicken please - updated, sad news

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 09:14
by helens-hens
sad
Chicken bullied and traumatised not eating

Started by GMM on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 07:09
by joyfull

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 29 queries.