New hen that wont go to roost

• 6 Replies

old chook

New hen that wont go to roost
« on: July 18, 2010, 21:39 »
Hello

recently introduced two new girls to our existing flock.  No major disputes, the odd pecking order squabble, but on the whole fairly peaceful.  However, one of the newbies refuses to go into the hen house at night.  She prefers fluttering up into a bush despite the others going to bed.  So far we have been removing her from the bush and popping her in the back of the hen house onto a perch.  Any advice on how I can encourage her to follow the others?  Should I start shoving her in through the pop hole or leave her to get on with it?!

Thanks!!

Sassy

Re: New hen that wont go to roost
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:16 »
You seem to be doing the right thing. There have been several forum members who have odd chooks who go up into the trees and won't go into a house. The only good thing being foxes can't climb trees! :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:04 »
Their can be some vicious head pecking  by those ruling the roost especially if the new hen ends up next to a particularly nasty hen (often not the top hen) and the tree is less hassle.
If someone whacked you on the head a dozen times while you were in bed would you be in a hurry to go back?
She will soon find a quiet spot in the coop if the weather turns nasty. :)

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:42 »
I used to allow 4 days for new chooks to get the hang of things. That's why I only get new girls in the summer, chasing the little blighters round the garden in the cold is no joke! Usually though, after 4 days, most got the hang of things. I must admit, there is nothing better than doing roll call at night, and finding them ALL present and correct.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 12:13 »
I had several tree roosters but in winter only one stayed out (she did move herself from the bare apple tree into the laurels when the snow came), she did use to go into the coup to lay her eggs and also to be a broody hen but once the young had grown up enough she then went back to the trees.
Staffies are softer than you think.

old chook

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:28 »
Last night she roosted in a hedge (well off the ground) and I couldn't reacher her to bring her in and pop her on a perch in the hen house. :nowink:  She seemed fine this morning.

Should I try putting her to bed  before the others, after the others or not at all?

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 12:31 »
Our chickens prefer not to go into their coop at night, so we lure them in with their favourite treat (mealworms). After doing this for a couple of weeks they're all more than happy to run straight in at night time
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

xx
Girls wont roost on the bars - shall I take the bars out?

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 17:45
by ehs284
xx
How can I get my new chicken to roost with the others?

Started by Greenfieldchooks on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 22:17
by Greenfieldchooks
xx
Emu can´t roost

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 17:30
by Oliveview
xx
Getting chickens to roost on bar

Started by purpletart on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 17:32
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 28 queries.