My "plant discovery of the season"

• 3 Replies

FatMog

My "plant discovery of the season"
« on: July 17, 2010, 20:16 »
Hi everyone, I am a long-time lurker on this forum and decided to come out of the woodwork and register.  Started growing my own last year in link-a-bord raised beds cos there's no depth of soil in my modern estate garden and had a great season.  This year I have added another couple of beds and am trying even more!

Anyway, I just thought I would share my award for this season's "best plant" - last year it was white beetroot (just amazingly tasty), this year it's american land cress.

My rocket always bolts just as I get into the salad season, I always forget to do successional coriander and I find lettuce a bit dull on it's own, so.... land cress.  For those who haven't tried it, it tastes like watercress only more so, it germinates easily, grows good-naturedly, responds happily to cut n come again, slugs ignore it and nothing else seems to fancy it at all.  It doesn't even seem to need loads of water.  And my first sowing is weeks old and shows no sign of bolting.

And did I mention it tastes great?

Wish everything was as effortless!

8doubles

Re: My "plant discovery of the season"
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 20:31 »
Hi Fatmog and welcome to the forum.

I will try and break it to you gently but anything that grows easily and the slugs don`t touch is either grass or a weed. :)

A tasty weed maybe but does run riot given a chance. :lol:

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 21:13 »
A weed is only a plant in the wrong place.  If fatmog likes it and it is edible then good luck to him, may try it myself as I always liked water cress.  Google will find a supplier I presume.

My candidate for easy to grow and tasty is perpetual spinach but still cannot grow any cauliflower bigger than a golf ball and I'm lucky to get any flower at all!
John

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 21:51 »
i discovered silver chard this year :) So easy to grow and use, and none of the nasties have been eating it (so far!) It's another veg on the plate without any hassle..YAY

xx
Can you grow Red Onions "mid season"

Started by skatenchips on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 08:58
by Sharonx
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Tomatoes: saving seed, "volunteer" plant, probable Gardener's Delight offspring

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2022, 21:34
by mumofstig
xx
Alien plant " weed " ? with parsnips .

Started by Dave Mack on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 08:28
by JayG

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 30 queries.