Next Steps

• 6 Replies

ember

Next Steps
« on: July 14, 2010, 13:06 »
I've now completed clearing my infested time team trench (see 07/06 clearing allotment) which measures approx 4.5m x 2.5m x depth varying between 60cm and 40cm due to slope (a jolly big hole). The base has been rotovated and I'm now ready to fill the hole in. (HURRAH).

Question is do I put manure/compost into the base now? The soil is a fine tilth but in a generally poor state so does need feeding. I thought I could then plant out my wintery brassicas into the space (Romanesco, spring cabbage and chinese cabbage). Also a site for Jerusalem Artichokes.

The fly in the ointment is a continuing glass problem. I cleared out 15 litres of glass so far. When I investigated the top right corner of the trench, an area of 0.5m x 1m it looks as though glass planes have been burried. The deeper I got the more complete the panes but at 2' i thought enough was enough. I shall have to follow the plot up to see how far it runs. I thought the soilution might then be to put in a good layer of stones and to leave room for about 40cm of top soil and put some raised sides in to create a permanent area for rhubarb/comfey/horseradish (not necessarily all together - still to decide).

Just a final statistic or two on the clearance. The time team trench produced 85.75 m3 of small to medium stone, 6 m3 of large stones (this is around 1/4 paving slab size and larger) and 2 heavy plastic (ex-compost) bags of general detritis including a water tank frame and the remains of a lightning conductor plate. The dock roots seemed almost irrelevant. Time taken to clear 6 weeks, achieved with a sense of relief rather than elation.
When I arrived, there were so many docks, I thought it was Southampton.

fatcat1955

Re: Next Steps
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 15:19 »
Sorry to tell you this but brassicas do better on compacted ground. Stops them rocking in the wind and breaking their little side roots.

ember

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 09:22 »
Thanks for that Fatcat.

I suppose I could just put stuff into the hole and then a green manure (French Beans or clover) and then do root veg and onions next season. Though that might not be good for carrots and parsnips.

Its really a question of whether I need to do the manuring thing now. It seems a pity to miss on the opportunity when the hole is dug.  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:35 »
I think that the manure needs to be in the top foot or so of soil really, I wouldn't put any lower down that that..............unless, of course, you have mountains of the stuff :D

Togalosh

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 23:03 »
Blimey..I thought I had glass n detritis issues on my plot.

Fair play for hanging on in there..

Unless you really, really like a lot of it I'd ask a neighbour if they have horseradish before planting your own as you'll never get rid of it...I've got 3 or 4 plants that I've dug out to down to below clay surface level & it still comes back.

paintedlady

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 04:47 »

Unless you really, really like a lot of it I'd ask a neighbour if they have horseradish before planting your own as you'll never get rid of it...I've got 3 or 4 plants that I've dug out to down to below clay surface level & it still comes back.

I might agree with that - better to plant it in a large container (I use a small crate raised on bricks!) as it can become an invasive weed  ;)

Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

ember

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:16 »
Thanks for the horseradish advice, it's much appreciated. We had horseradish on a previous allotment, where it grew away, quite happily, on a banking. It had been there that long it was acting as a soil retainer. Completely different situation here. I'd had various thoughts on how to contain it, without reaching a conclusion. Think I'll definately go with the container/crate idea. M

xx
Small steps

Started by Ygerna on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 22:33
by Glen
xx
My first steps, advice please.

Started by spade or shovel? on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 15:51
by Yorkie
xx
Taking the first steps

Started by tarvae on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 09:49
by pdblake

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 30 queries.