Taking the first steps

• 5 Replies

tarvae

Taking the first steps
« on: April 09, 2013, 16:52 »
Well, i just spoke to the chap from the council to go on the waiting list for a plot. He says there are about 8 people in front of me...but he's due to sort that particular list in the next couple of weeks and thinks there are about a dozen empty plots....looks like this might be a go!

Would it be reasonable to say I'm a bit scared at this point? Will it be too much? Will I have the time? Will it bankrupt me getting it set up?

Anticipating it hugely as well and looking forward to getting back to my roots.

Big question is, if I do get a plot this time of year, what can I actually do? Is it too late for most things? Especially if the plot is overgrown and needs prep work?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Taking the first steps
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 06:23 »
Hi and welcome. :)

I'll move your questions to the grow your own board for plenty of answers.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 06:41 »
Welcome to the forums.

A good place to start is here:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/growing_information.php

and specifically on that page you'll find a link to clearing a new allotment:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php

It's not too late for anything yet. A lot of us are probably a month behind with a lot of things due to the cold weather. There's still plenty of time for most things, onion sets, spuds, peas etc. I won't go on and on - I could list just about every vegetable - as I said - it's far from too late for anything yet.

It's even too early for outdoor planting of a lot of things, such as sweetcorn, runner beans, courgettes etc., so don't panic, take your time, keep fingers crossed and be prepared to sow/plant as you clear.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:45 »
Woohoo someone else who panicked at the prospect....I did it with parenthood too lol. If the site needs a lot of work clear a bit of it to plant this year and you can work on the rest as you go.

I waited for years on one waiting list and never heard anything, then managed to find a site who actually rings everyone each year to see if they still want one, it's surprising the amount of people who change their mind/move away etc. Hope you get one soon :)
Motherhood - when being spontaneous takes 2 and a half days of careful planning

snow white

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:28 »
I am only just starting to put things in the ground so you are not too late for growing things.  Just take it a day at a time.  I try not to think too much and just do that days jobs.  If I think of the things I have done over the last few months (newbie here too!) then I might not have got started.  And cost wise, it is always fun to get things as cheaply as possible or even free.  Just ask on here how to go about getting what you need.  Time wise, well I always end up spending more time than I intended, it is a bit addictive.  I only go home when I'm hungry, cold or have to.   But thats my choice.   ::)   As you haven't got one yet, get reading and sort out which plants you want to grow, (just put my pots in so you still have time yet) buy some seeds and start some off at home for planting out next month.  It is exciting and scary, but so satisfying.  Everytime I go to my plot I feel that I have acheived something worthwhile, (other than looking after children and other half.)

So go for it.  :lol:

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:49 »
I got my plot in May last year and managed to grow plenty, despite it being derelict.

xx
Next Steps

Started by ember on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 10:16
by ember
xx
My first steps, advice please.

Started by spade or shovel? on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 15:51
by Yorkie
xx
Small steps

Started by Ygerna on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 22:33
by Glen
xx
Taking Cuttings

Started by WendysLot on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 12:34
by WendysLot

Page created in 1.596 seconds with 31 queries.