Give me the hard word please!

• 11 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Give me the hard word please!
« on: July 13, 2010, 21:54 »
Ok here are pics of my garden as it basically is with hard landscaping (much more established now for the plants shown, this pic is 3 years ago now...)

I have two dogs (boxer and boxer cross), one is a grumpy hag, and one is a big sweet idiot  :D, and a cat keeps coming in from a neighbours.

Is it at all possible that I can keep chickens/ducks in this space? OH wont remove the flags (apart from a border on the left). So there will be no grassed areas. There is a raised pond with goldfish. Behind the water butt is a 2ft high veg bed (that can be and is netted) I'm happy to sacrifice anything but my Ivy and Tree Fern and Acers.

I'm being daft arent I? Just tell me straight and then I can settle to waiting a lot longer once I know for sure. I would never keep them only to risk ill health and unsafe/unhealthy conditions. But if OH and I knows that they can be kept well I can start to talk to neighbours etc.

(Be nice to me, I only know veggies!)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
Re: Give me the hard word please!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 22:04 »
Sorry, but I wouldn't be happy keeping my girls in such a restricted area. They need space to roam, scratch, dustbath and be generally as free as possible. They would have to rely on you so much for everything, and personally I just don't think that they would flourish in such an environment.  :( However that's just my opinion, others may differ if they have smaller spaces as well.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 22:13 »
Compared to the conditions some chickens can be legally kept in I think that would be nice for them.  You would obviously dote on them. ::)  As for ducks, well then I don't think so but am no expert.
Cheese makes everything better.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 22:17 »
you could keep 3 bantams in an enclosed run with raised sides and bark on the floor (the raised sides would be to stop the bark going all over the place. However you would have to change the bark fairly regular to keep it fresh and ideally have the run covered over. Aunt Sally has her eglu inside a run with a table and lots of other items inside to occupy the hens, so you could make something similar but longer rather than square.
You would have to move your table and chairs over a bit but I'm sure you could fit something in  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 22:19 »
Thanks, all input and ideas are really appreciated

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 23:24 »
I think you could build a nice aviary type run on the left up against the boards, there looks space for a run about 12ft x 2ft  Build it with a sloping roof and you could make it look quite pretty, and maybe get a couple of ex battery hens.  They would probably think they were in heaven, and not the heaven they were probably going to otherwise.  And you could  let them out for a bit of extra exercise and treats when you are around.

All the best
Sue

I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

wildwitchy

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 00:02 »
I certainly wouldnt keep ducks in that space! They are the messiest creatures EVER in a small space!! (as lovely as they are). Chooks in a wooden coop & run would be fine & happy - battery hens only get A4 which is terrible so yours would be in luxury!!! Mine haven't got any grass anymore- that has long gone but they're on gravel, earth & bark chippings in the covered run. They scoot about under the pampass grass bush & have a dust bath but they havent got acres to roam! They're perfectly happy. Some of them are doing are damn site better than being in a cage where they come from!

Go for it- you'll never look back! And you'll have the freshest bestest tasting eggs ever!!

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 06:49 »
I keep mine in a similar spac I've e got 3 hybrids and they love it they have the whole garden all day from 6am till about 10 pm just be prepared for a lot of poo cleaning. I'm lucky I have a man hole in the middle I lift the lid and hose it in. So if you have a man hole happy days   :D
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

sarah f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 07:01 »
my gardens  is a little larger and i keep my girls in a coop and attached run( let out to roam when i am home)  it is placed on crazy paving i have no grass what so ever,
i grow my grass for my girls in trays on top of there coops and swop a tray each day lol and reseed the spent one. i have 2  coops and runs back to back.

i have 3 silkie bantams in one coop/run
and 2 serama and a miniature silkie in other.

they are very happy birds, i have had no problems at all.
but keeping up on the cleanliness is a must.

i use a good sprinkle of easibed in the run easy to sweep away every couple of days and pooh pick in between. inside the coop i use sawdust  same routine as run.

i have 2 rottweilers that never bother much with the girls they will have a looksie and get there noses pecked for being nosy ;)

i would go for small bantams in the space you have, and definetly not ducks in my opinion.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 08:27 »
Well peapod looks like the general opinion is yes you can keep chickens there, so get your coup and run built and we can then sort out what breed you fancy keeping. I do have some araucana crosses you could have with pleasure - their dads were pure breed araucanas and some of their mums were pure but as these were born either in the farmers field or under a hedge I cannot guarantee that they are all pure having never seen their eggs, but am certain of the dads parentage so they should lay blue or blue/green eggs. Failing that I'm sure we can sort you out with whatever breed you fancy  :)

wildwitchy

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 15:12 »
I'll have some spare chicks soon (cotswold legbars & burford browns) & no doubts other people on the forum may have some. So peapod, just get cracking on the building, you'll have a supply of chicks or hens at your disposal, what more do you need?  ;)

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 16:53 »
Go for it peapod, as the others have said you will never look back, they bring such enjoyment, and are just fantastic to watch them go about their business and in return you get gorgoeus eggs,   looking forward to watching your progress, your gonna have to keep a chook diary for us now so we can all see lol lol    nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

xx
Egg shell so hard, very hard to break

Started by stujem on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 13:15
by hillfooter
xx
That B word

Started by Aidy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 15:52
by mumofstig
exclamation
5girls dead. A word of warning

Started by Alby on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 13:21
by hillfooter
xx
Chicken Lice; word of warning

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 17:14
by virgotiger

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 29 queries.